Please review the job details below.
Maxar, the leading provider of earth imagery products, is seeking a Cloud Service Software Engineer to join the Catalog Team in the Product Engineering Organization based in Westminster, CO.
You will be part of a team that is responsible for developing geospatial applications that facilitate discovery and access to our 100+ petabyte image archive. Our applications are heavily used across the globe by a wide range of customers and use cases, resulting in millions of API hits daily. Our systems have been built from the ground up to perform efficiently at scale with cloud driven design on AWS.
In this role, you will develop, enhance, and deploy microservices (python based lambdas and step functions) to AWS, utilizing a serverless, event driven architecture and blue/green deploys. You will interface with relational and NoSQL databases (such as postGIS and Aurora), S3 filesystem and be responsible for the scalability of your applications. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated engineer, eager to grow their career by tackling the complex issues surrounding our incredible image data and its size. We deploy continuously so our engineers must be able to write functional code and tests that are exercised via the deployment pipeline. Additionally, our software teams are 'delivery teams' so we are responsible for deploying instrumented code into production and monitoring our systems as they start processing (we use CloudWatch, Slack integrations and PagerDuty).Responsibilities:
- Design, develop, and improve Maxar's image product catalog systems and interfaces in collaboration with a cross-functional team.
- Contribute to product vision, help set the direction of our platform, and prioritize objectives to deliver maximum value.
- Provide demonstrations of developed software to user and peer audiences.
- Work with other delivery team members to deliver functional code into a production environment.
- Must be a U.S. citizen and be willing and able to obtain a Secret security clearance
- Meet one of the following education and experience combinations
- Bachelor's degree and 5 years of relevant experience
- Master's degree and 3 years of relevant experience
- 9 years of relevant experience
- Experience designing, creating, and using RESTful APIs
- Relevant and recent participation in a software team that has delivered software solutions into a production environment.
- Versed with relational and NoSQL databases, and managing object stores
- Familiarity with continuous integration and deployment concepts and hands on experience with tools that support rapid development and delivery including automated testing.
- A good understating of application security best-practices
- Experience working in a collaborative development environment (e.g. submitting and reviewing pull requests, code reviews, paired programing, team design sessions, etc.) with a modern development language (we use Python)
- Self-starter that enjoys problem solving across multiple products and services
- Development experience with geospatial software (e.g. GDAL/OGR, PostGIS, OGC APIs, ArcGIS, QGIS, GeoServer, OpenLayers, Leaflet, etc)
- AWS development and operational experience, including: Fargate/ECS, Lambda, API Gateway, S3, SNS, SQS
- Experience with authorization protocols such as Oauth2
- Expertise with application monitoring tools and improving system observability
- Hands-on experience with serverless application
- High level of communication skillsets including UML, API documentation and interpersonal communication with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience supporting applications in a highly utilized production environment which may include code, database and log analysis.
The compensation range for this position is $89,250.00 - $148,750.00 USD annually, dependent on skills and experience. Maxar Technologies values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.