Company Description Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems. Job Description
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher
to perform research in the area of compiler optimization of parallel programs for High Performance Computing (HPC). You will work collaboratively with LLNL researchers to research and develop new compiler methodologies to optimize the execution of parallel programs targeting state-of-the-art heterogeneous many-core HPC systems. This position is in the Center for Applied Scientific Computing (CASC) Division within the Computing Directorate.In this roleyou will
- Research and develop abstract representations of software and hardware parallelism suitable for semantic analysis and optimization of parallel programs in compilers.
- Research and develop compiler methodologies to apply and expand existing compiler optimization on parallel codes.
- Research and develop novel compiler optimization methods to refactor parallel code for optimized execution on heterogeneous HPC systems.
- Provide support to allow HPC codes to effectively use the developed compiler methodologies.
- Perform empirical studies to quantify the performance of HPC codes using the developed compiler optimizations.
- Participate in the establishment of future research directions and contribute to group grant proposals, including preparation and presentation of proposals.
- Document complex research and development progress via technical reports, journal publications, and conference presentations and collaborate with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to accomplish research goals.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to define and carry out the research.
Qualifications We Desire
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, or a related field.
- Experience in research and development in the area of compiler optimization for parallel applications, or adequate related expertise that demonstrates the ability to learn and perform research and development in compiler technologies for parallel applications.
- Ability to conduct high quality independent research and to develop implementations to evaluate the results.
- Experience in programming C/C++ in a Unix/Linux environment.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact in a clear and concise manner, author technical and scientific reports and papers, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Ability to take the initiative and have interpersonal communication skills necessary to work effectively in a dynamic team environment.
Additional Information Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Experience in compiler development, preferably in the Clang/LLVM compilation framework.
- Experience in parallel programming, preferably in widely used parallel programing models, such as OpenMP, CUDA, HIP and/or MPI.
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Careersite .Security Clearance
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, wewill initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if youmeet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2 .Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form .CaliforniaPrivacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitlesjob applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here .