The Consulting Director, Cloud Engineering is a high level individual contributor role that leads the execution and management of daily Cloud Engineering work in coordination with the company's infrastructure vendor. The position is an expert in various aspects of Cloud Engineering and is responsible for creating, maintaining and enhancing various aspects of on-premise and cloud environments. The Director also manages projects (including external vendors) for end-to-end success as well as actively works with other internal IT groups and vendors on optimal strategy, execution, management, oversight and outcomes.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Contributes and provides input into the strategy of the cloud engineering discipline.
- Provides expert technical support and works with infrastructure vendor to engineer appropriate automation tools for the provisioning of cloud environments. Creates monitoring tools, automates operational tasks and ensures robust reporting on overall cloud infrastructure status and health.
- Engineers, designs and oversees the building of fault tolerant, automated and highly resilient cloud solutions.
- Works collaboratively with other infrastructure engineers, architects, leads of other IT areas and various vendor partners to enable the enterprise use of the cloud.
- Plans and prioritizes the backlog of cloud design patterns and automation releases and updates that enable and support use of public cloud services.
- Collaborates with operations team working with providers during major issues and day-to-day escalations.
- Provides project leadership to large and technically difficult projects related to cloud engineering across the company. The role will be accountable for cloud engineering design decisions and how easily the designs can be implemented.
- Works with vendor management to help negotiate and / or provide detailed analysis to acquire favorable contractual agreements with IT vendor partners.
- Ensures effective administration of, and compliance with, all internal processes, procedures, and controls.
- Keeps abreast of technological developments, and recommends and creates cloud infrastructure solution standards that empower business operations to execute initiatives at improved speed, quality and cost over conventional approaches.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically reports to Assistant Vice President (AVP) or above.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Solid experience automating and orchestrating workloads across multiple public cloud service providers (preferably including Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google (GCP)).
- Automation management experience with at least one configuration management system and experience working in an Agile, fast paced DevOps environment.
- Expert knowledge of migrating services and workloads to the cloud for operational improvement.
- Excellent project management skills and ability to organize and plan effectively to meet project goals. .
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with peers, vendor partners, IT management and assigned subordinates.
- Proven experience building strong relationships both inside and outside the company. Collaborates with teams to drive towards win-win scenarios.
- Successful track record in Infrastructure planning and budgeting and exposure to negotiating and determining appropriate outcomes with IT vendor partners.
- Acts with a sense of urgency and accountability while achieving quality results.
- Acts as a thought leader in researching and presenting innovative ways to solve complex infrastructure related issues, including working with IT vendor partners with root cause analysis and appropriate outcome attainment.
- Excellent knowledge and experience with IT Service Management concepts including all disciplines within an IT Infrastructure Library framework.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related work experience.
- Typically a minimum of ten years in Information Technology experience in Infrastructure operations, networks, telecom, platforms, storage, and / or procurement preferably in the insurance industry.
- Expertise with cloud engineering and cloud service providers, preferably Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud
- Experience in a business-facing IT role or similar experience providing customer service for an IT service.
- Strong experience working with IT vendors and / or Managed Service Providers.
- Willingness and ability to lead and provide mentorship to other Infrastructure engineers.
- Infrastructure Engineering certifications preferred.