The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation's space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space- delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you'll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves. Job Summary
The Vehicle Systems Division (VSD) sits at the center of the ideas and data behind current and future systems supplying innovative research and development; technical evaluations during the acquisition process; conceptual and detailed design; assembly, integration, and test; and operational support. Comprised primarily of highly-trained mechanical and aerospace engineers, VSD provides national expertise in the areas of vehicle engineering; guidance, navigation, and controls; robotics; electro-mechanical devices; embedded systems; fluid mechanics; propulsion; thermal control; orbital mechanics; mechanisms; structures; structural dynamics; and dynamic environments.
The Control Analysis Department performs satellite and payload attitude control system analysis for a wide variety of programs ranging from CubeSats weighing a few kilograms with prototype payloads to the GPS constellation which countless users rely on every day. This is a full-time position based in El Segundo, CA. What You'll Be Doing
What You Need to be Successful
- As a Controls Analysis Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in providing engineering support on a variety of diverse space programs ranging in the areas of advanced vehicle dynamics, attitude and payload control, and applications of filtering and estimation.
- S/he will work closely with internal and external stakeholders supporting all phases of a program lifecycle: conceptual studies, prototyping, source selection, development, and operations.
- Participate in architecting, implementation, analysis, and evaluation of spacecraft and payload control systems on a variety of National Security Space programs.
- Perform tasks that may include concept development, trade studies, source selections, requirements analyses, risk assessments, design analyses, simulation development, prototyping, test planning and execution, operations support, and anomaly resolution.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal & external stakeholders, customers and contractors providing updates in technical design reviews and analysis in interchange meetings.
- Research and develop new analysis tools and techniques.
- Perform control design, implementation, assessment, and/or testing for civil and commercial customers.
How You Can Stand Out
- Advanced Degree (Master's or PhD) in a STEM field or equivalent is required
- (2) or more years of professional experience in one or more of the following: control system design and analysis, estimation theory, or advanced dynamics is required
- Proficiency coding in MATLAB/Simulink
- Working knowledge of a compiled programming language such as C/C++
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
Ways We Reward Our Employees
- (5) or more years of professional experience in one or more of the following: control system design and analysis, estimation theory, or advanced dynamics is preferred
- Experience programming with Python, Git, Docker, Linux Bash, ROS, Gazebo, and/or Swift
- Experience with one or more of the following:
- Spacecraft attitude determination and control
- Payload pointing estimation and control
- Advanced control techniques and applications
- Kalman filtering and stochastic processes
- Modeling and simulation of control systems
- Multibody and flexible body dynamics
- Implementation, testing, deploying, and calibration of control systems
- Cubesat or smallsat attitude determination and control design and operations
- Mobile robotics, guidance algorithms, computer vision, image processing, point-cloud analysis
- Experience with simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM), extended/unscented Kalman filters (EKF/UKFs)
- Data Science, Machine Learning, Neural Networks, optimization
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
and the supplement
, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement