We are Athene. At Athene, we are driven to do more. We are a leading retirement services company that issues, reinsures and acquires retirement savings products designed for the increasing number of individuals and institutions seeking to fund retirement needs. We see every day as a new opportunity to measure ourselves against the best - and then we don't stop until we've set the bar even higher. We're ready to help you achieve more.
Athene has an exciting opportunity for a dynamic and proactive attorney to join our Legal team. The ideal candidate will be a high performing, business savvy attorney with 5+ years of significant experience in sophisticated corporate transactions, including mergers & acquisitions, pension risk transfers and other strategic transactions.
- Work closely with the business providing timely and efficient legal services in the review and drafting of proposal documents in connection with bidding on transactions.
- Advise annuity form filings teams on responding to regulatory inquiries and forms objections.
- Consistently anticipate and propose mitigation strategies for the management of potential contractual, compliance and financial risks.
- Establish and maintain professional working relationships with company representatives who are involved in the business.
- Provide legal advice to business units regarding compliance with laws and regulations that impact the business.
- Take the lead in devising negotiation strategies and drafting contracts and service agreements related to transactions.
Qualifications and Experience:
- 5+ years of large law firm experience is strongly preferred.
- Proven background in corporate law.
- Self-motivated with an ability to work independently and manage multiple projects/priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Solid understanding of complex structural and corporate issues pertaining to sophisticated corporate transactions.
- Some travel may be required.
- Strong work ethic and demonstrated ability to work efficiently under tight timelines, while managing a diverse workload.
- Ability to concisely and effectively communicate complex matters in oral and written form.
- Active California law license required.
- Analytical ability and strong attention to detail.
- Experience providing legal advice relating to pensions and insurance products, including the Internal Revenue Code and ERISA, is a plus.
- Law degree from an accredited law school; top 25% of graduating class preferred.
NOTE: Successful candidate will be required to complete a pre-employment background check.
Drive. Discipline. Confidence. Focus. Commitment. Learn more about working at Athene.
Athene is a Military Friendly Employer! Learn more about how we support our Veterans.
Athene celebrates diversity, is committed to inclusion and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.