Apex Systems, America's second largest technical staffing firm, has an opportunity for a Customer Installation Technician
with one of the largest independent fiber bandwidth companies in the US. This position is located in Greensboro, NC.
If interested in this, or any other opportunities with Apex Systems, please send a resume and best contact information to Sarah Zschunke, Technical Recruiter, via CANDIDATES MUST BE S. Location:
Greensboro, NC Terms:
The Customer Installations Technician II is responsible for all installations and repairs including required premise equipment (NIDs, Routers, Data Switches, premise Firewalls, IAD's, Hosted phones, ONT's, etc.) for TDM, Ethernet, MPLS, and VoIP and Data services through T1 and Ethernet/Fiber level services. New near-future services will include installation and maintenance of optic network interface devices, SD-WAN devices, and required CAT 5/CAT 6 demarc extension wiring for T-1s, Fiber to the Premise, and Triple Play video service. Technicians are responsible for maintaining proper service and safety standards as required by the Public Service Commission, industry standards, manufacturer specifications, OSHA, National Electric Safety Code, SCDOT and local building codes. Technicians will be able to upgrade firmware and load configurations in Adtran, VeloCloud, Cisco, Cradlepoint, Ruckus, Brocade, and Ciena equipment. Intermediate knowledge of VOIP phones should include but not limited to, Polycom, Avaya, Yealink, and Cisco phones. Customer Installations technicians will have a basic knowledge of single mode and multi-mode fiber optics. Individuals must be able to troubleshoot with a light source, optical power meter, or OTDR. Technicians will be responsible for operating 10 gigabit Ethernet test sets to test multiple classifications of voice and data circuits. This position will require telecom field knowledge and an intermediate working knowledge of IP. Technicians must be detail oriented, self-starting, and possess the ability to work well with or without supervision. Required Skills/Qualifications:
Duties & Responsibilities:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word
- Possess a valid driver's license and be able to safely operate a company vehicle
- Able to work with limited supervision
- Availability to work various hours and schedule including weekends, holidays, overtime and callouts as required in inclement weather conditions.
- Available to travel 85% of time
- Must be organized and capable of interpreting new orders and procuring CPE
- Must know standard telephone/cable color codes and installation practices
- Capable of troubleshooting and correcting CPE configurations
- Capable of troubleshooting and correcting Ethernet, T1, and 1FB wiring issues using standard field installation tools
- Capable of producing Ethernet and T1 cables
- Capable of installing dmarc extensions or cabling to support WAN services in a customer facility (no fear of heights or enclosed spaces)
- Capable of troubleshooting and correcting VOIP services at customer premise
- Knowledge of Ethernet test sets with the ability to Configure, test, and interpret results for a T-1, PRI, and Ethernet.
- Configure and utilize light meter to properly measure light
Installation & Repair: Performs daily duties as assigned by Field Squared. Must monitor email and Field Squared at all times. Responsible for dispatching to customer premises to install, test, and repair services, CPE, and phones. Perform number routing and porting of numbers remotely and on customer sites. Assist with troubleshooting customer's services during and immediately after turn-up. Work closely with other teams to quickly resolve critical outages due to equipment failure, network failure, small and large storm outages and natural disasters.
Inventory management: Shipping, Receiving, stocking, and maintaining equipment in the warehouses and vans. Pulling and staging equipment bill of materials. Processing RMA equipment. Cycle counting inventory. Performing yearly audits of warehouses.
Employee Development: maintains training schedule and course selection as directed by supervisor or manager in addition to electives selected by the employee. Works in cooperation with Employee Development Team to meet minimum requirements for training classes and courses offered and meet minimum requirements for course or class completion. Participates in company required training classes such as safety, work place trainings, systems training and environmental training. Maintains code of conduct as set forth by organizational Human Resource team.
Documentation: Timely submission of pre-install, install, trouble, and inventory forms. Daily submission of a detailed time sheet. Desired Skills:
- Experience with Cisco or Adtran Routers, IADs, GPON, or ATA's
- Minimum 5 years' field experience with hardware installations
- Experience with DS3, DS1, DS0 circuit test equipment
- Intermediate experience working with IP networks
- Experience with LEC/CLEC Operations
- Experience with Local Loop Distributions/Testing/Repair
Work primarily in a climate controlled environment with minimal safety/health hazard potential. Sedentary, sitting, walking, occasional lifting (overhead, waist level) from floor, bending, frequent near vision use for reading and computer use. Independent lifting ability of up to 50 lbs.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at