Role Responsibilities :
The SQL Server Database Administrator implements, supports and maintains SQL Server database software, and ensures its performance, availability, and security across a large enterprise. He/she provides input to architecture and data center teams on infrastructure design standards for SQL server and reviews architecture and project deliverables to ensure that proposed solutions meet or exceed established standards. He/she provides outstanding customer service to both internal and external customers in a very large 24x7 highly available environment. The DBA is responsible for providing input to and guiding other SQL resources in regard to SQL standards and best practices.
- Install and patch SQL Server software for standalone and clustered configurations.
- Configure SQL Server installations to meet defined best practices.
- Monitor and remediate issues with SQL Server maintenance jobs to include backups, DBCC and reindexing.
- Perform SQL Server database migrations for hardware refreshes and SQL upgrades.
- Manage SQL Clusters with primary focus on SQL 2012 and 2014 running on Windows 2012.
- Troubleshoot database and instance performance problems.
- Troubleshoot issues with SQL Server high availability solutions to include Windows Failover Clusters and SQL Server AlwaysOn.
- Review and provide feedback on scheduled SQL Server database changes.
- Implement and maintain database security according to Deloitte security provisions.
- Proactively monitor database systems to ensure minimum downtime.
- Participate in database tuning to include add/drop/change indexes based on vendor and developer input.
- Review SQL Server instances for compliance with documented best practices.
- Provide excellent customer service for incident and service request tickets.
- Work with the team to ensure that the associated hardware resources allocated to the databases are adequate and to ensure high availability and optimum performance.
- React and resolve all database related warning and alarms from database monitoring system.
- Provide database backup and recovery operation according to given strategy.
- Review and analyze critical (security) patch information sent by Microsoft.
- Manage database storage and capacity planning for internal objects and database files.
- Escalate and manage problems to resolution through Microsoft Support, SQL Development Team and/or third parties as appropriate.
- Provide 24x7 on call support as scheduled.
Knowledge Sharing / Documentation
- Document SQL standards and team processes/procedures as needed
Required Education, Qualifications, and Experience Settings :
- 5+ years of experience in general database administration in a large MS SQL Server environment
- General knowledge of infrastructure technologies and how they relate to SQL performance (storage model/design, Windows OS, Hyper-V, clustering, etc.)
- Experience in SQL database engine infrastructure and support, version 2012 and higher
- Operational support knowledge of SQL Server on Windows 2012 failover clusters
- Ability to write and troubleshoot SQL Server automation scripts (backups, indexing, migrations, etc.)
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve database performance issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, connectivity issues, security issues etc.
- Ability to detect and troubleshoot SQL Server related CPU, Memory, I/O, disk space and other resource contention