Title: Data Analyst
Department: Department of Technology
Reports To: Director of Technology
Pay Plan: 75hrs per pay period
EEO/Census Code: Full Time
FLSA: Non Exempt
Summary: The Data Analyst, under the direction of the Director of Technology, is responsible for the oversight and coordination of the distribution of data as it relating to litigation, public records requests, and other data related projects, as assigned. The Data Analyst, with data search requirement provided, is responsible for the design, development, documentation, and production of data searches of both structured and non-structured data.
This position also manages other data-related projects as assigned.
Essential Job Functions: Essential duties are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
• Understanding of the Freedon of Information Act/ Public Records Request (FOIA/PRR) request process.
• Independently performs assignments requiring the application of fundamental principles, concepts, techniques, and guidelines relative to data searches, management, and production of matters.
• Coordinate with the Legal Department and other entities as needed to identify data search criteria.
• Identify search criteria scope, including which structure and unstructured data sets are to be searched.
• Work with a variety of data sources performing structure and unstructured searches across multiple platforms such as Exchange, Microsoft Office files, text files, eWorks, databases (SQL & Access), online development/permitting system, and other data sources as identified.
• Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in data sets, enhancing data search results
• Filter and cleanse unstructured (or ambiguous) data into usable data sets that can be analyzed.
• Build/define tools for automating repetitive tasks so that bandwidth can be freed for analytics
• Locate and define process improvement opportunities
• Evaluate organizational methods and provide recommendation-to-target searches.
• Provide statistical data validation to identify data integrity issues
• Proven problem solving and analysis skills.
• Strong ability to troubleshoot and resolve data search issues
• Ability to manage simultaneous tasks in a fast-paced, technology-oriented environment.
• Evaluate internal systems for efficiency, problems, duplications, and inaccuracies, developing and maintaining protocols for handling, processing, and cleaning data.
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to search, collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
• Work directly with management and users to gather requirements, provide status updates, and build relationships
• Manage and complete time-sensitive custom research requests for subscribing clients
• Appear as witness in court or deposition to give sworn testimony
• Any other duties as assigned
Competencies: Employee must be able to operate basic office equipment, office computer and software, fax machine, scanner, and any other specialty equipment needed for the position. Employee must possess excellent communication skills, both presentational and written, and must be able to meet firm deadlines. Employee must have keen analytical skills and must be adept at scanning repetitive, detailed data. Employee must be able to manage multiple projects concurrently using formal project management techniques.
Work Environment: The incumbent works in a typical office environment with little or no exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Primary functions are limited to an office environment. Occasional duties may require travel or work in a non-office setting.
Physical Demands: Sedentary work. Sedentary work involves lifting no more than 10 pounds at a time and occasionally lifting or carrying articles like docket files, ledgers, and small tools. Although a sedentary job is defined as one which involves sitting, a certain amount of walking and standing is often necessary for carrying out job duties. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required occasionally, and other sedentary criteria are met.
Required Education/Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree in a related field plus a minimum of four years of relevant work experience required. Position requires technical expertise regarding data models, data mining, and segmentation techniques. Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft SQL and Access, Microsoft Outlook and Exchange, and other modern software utilize in a business environment a plus.
St. Tammany Parish Government is an EOE/M/F/Disability/Veteran