GEICO is seeking a Data Architect
with deep diverse technical experience who can navigate the challenge of pushing the organization to envision forward thinking solutions that meet or exceed our key business performance measures.
Our Data Architect works closely with technology and business leadership to envision and develop strategies that challenge current thinking, processes and rules. You will enable strategic, big-picture design thinking for the business and how it operates, while collaborating with business and technical counterparts to drive delivery of systems that clearly align to key business performance indicators. You will provide a comprehensive, enterprise and operational view, ensures output and artifact quality at all levels. You will be expected to work across the enterprise domains to drive architecture and design runways that result in implemented business solutions.Responsibilities
- Engage with senior levels of leadership (both technical and business) with clear communication, appropriate levels of context and explanation, using visual and data representations when needed, to effect decisions and direction of strategy, and bridge the gap between business and tech-speak.
- Assess technology trends and direction providing guidance on how those trends will impact organization opportunities as well as risks
- Develop technology architecture strategies based on a situational awareness of various business scenarios and motivations.
- Partner with other Architects to ensure consistent translation of enterprise architecture decisions to solution architects, conduct solution design reviews, and arbitrate solution design conflicts across domains
- Align technology strategies to key business performance metrics
- Account for possible project challenges on constraints including, risks, time, resources and scope
- Capture tactical and strategic goals to provide traceability through the organization
- Drive and facilitate the discussions with business leaders to identify technology capabilities that inform current and future business objectives
- Lead, build, manage, enhance technology capability models along a maturity and optimization framework to drive enablement of the longer-term roadmap
- Define the data shared across the enterprise and the relationships between those data.
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Excellent Analytical and problem-solving skills
- High attention to detail
- Ability to work under indirect supervision
- Broad understanding of information technology topics
- Effective interpersonal skills and collaborative style
- Able to communicate clearly, using data, and build relationships to effect influence
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate technology options and apply to complex business problems
- Flexible in a fast-paced dynamic environment with shifting roles and responsibilities
- Capacity and commitment to acquiring new skills outside of current area of expertise
- Demonstrated passion and deep involvement with technology
- Technically creative and open-minded
- 5+ years' experience as a Data Architect
- 5+ years' Data Warehouse experience. Candidate must have experience with designing Data Warehouse schemas (Data Vault, 3NF model) as well as Data Mart schemas (Dimensional model)
- 5+ years' experience integrating data from disparate sources
- Experience in Agile development methodologies
- 3+ years' knowledge of Azure Data & Storage, Azure Data Bricks/ Apache Spark
- Proficient in Data Governance practices and experience
- Able to gather requirements from both IT and the Business partners
- Demonstrate the ability to create high quality technical artifacts such as Source to Target Mappings (STMs) and Record Level Specifications (RLS)
- Experience with data profiling using SQL
- Prototype ETL transformation logic using Advanced SQL techniques
- Experience with population of metadata repositories and publication of metadata
- Experience creating and documenting classifications of Private and sensitive data
- Understanding of data security and data access controls and design aspects
- Proficient with Erwin Data Modeler and MS Office Suite
- Experience in Data Vault 2.0 Modeling methodology
- Experience in Snowflake data warehouse
- P&C Insurance Subject Area Model experience (i.e. Policy, Sales, Service, Claims, and Billing systems)
- 3+ years' experience with Database Platforms (DBaaS): Snowflake, Azure SQL DB
- 3+ years' exposure to SnowSQL, advanced concepts (query performance tuning, time travel etc.) and features/tools (data sharing, events, SnowPipe etc.)
- 3+ years' experience with the Azure suite (Azure Data Lake, Azure Data Factory, Azure DevOps)
- 5+ years' exposure to Traditional RDBMS: SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, Cosmos DB, Hive
- 5+ years' experience with Big Data Experience. Hadoop, Hive, Linux.
- Very good knowledge of RDBMS topics, ability to write complex SQL, PL/SQL
- Experience with Data Vault 2.0 Methodology
- Expert knowledge developing data models for deployment on Snowflake Platform
- Willingness to learn and experiment with technologies outside of his/her comfort area
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent education or work experience
Note: The safety of our associates, both current and future, is GEICO's highest priority. At this time, most of our associates are working remotely due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. Candidates who are selected for this position will be trained remotely and must be able to work from home in a designated work area. Once GEICO determines it is safe for associates to return to the office, candidates may be required to work in our Chevy Chase, MD office.
As a Data Architect, you'll enjoy our Total Rewards Program* to help secure your financial future and preserve your health and well-being, including:
- Premier Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance with no waiting period**
- Paid Vacation, Sick and Parental Leave
- 401(k) Plan with Profit Sharing
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Training and Licensures
*Benefits may be different by location. Benefit eligibility requirements vary and may include length of service.
**Coverage begins with the pay period after hire date. Must enroll in New Hire Benefits within 30 days of the date of hire for coverage to take effect.
The equal employment opportunity policy of the GEICO Companies provides for a fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, disability or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. GEICO hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
GEICO reasonably accommodates qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to receive equal employment opportunity and/or perform the essential functions of the job, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship to the Company. This applies to all applicants and associates. GEICO also provides a work environment in which each associate is able to be productive and work to the best of their ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment. We expect and require the cooperation of all associates in maintaining an atmosphere free from discrimination and harassment with mutual respect by and for all associates and applicants.