Our client, a international financial institution based in NW Washington, DC has a position available for an Data Backup and Recovery Administrator:
Data Backup and Recovery Administrator
The incumbent will work in the Systems Management (ITSSM) team, which is responsible for maintaining IT operational infrastructure and providing the following services to the organization: Server Systems administration (Linux, AIX, Solaris Windows, and Virtualization platforms), Disk Storage and SAN administration, Data Backup and Restore administration, Server Security administration, and operational and infrastructure components of business continuity. Many related activities like Capacity Planning, Performance Analysis, Software Distribution, Availability Monitoring, and others are also performed by this group.
Essential Job Functions:
Educational Qualifications and Experience:
- Manage enterprise data backup and restore operations based on IBM Spectrum Protect in a large production environment.
- Select, validate, customize, and distribute backup software versions.
- Define, maintain, and periodically review automated backup schedules (creation and retention) that match application requirements and business cycles.
- Create extra copies of data managed by applications classified as Mission Critical and send them to an off-site location (A special backup schedule (creation and retention) is usually defined in those cases).
- Ad-hoc triggering of backup and restore operations.
- Assist with data restoration and non-automated backup activities.
- Validate backed-up data quality by means of Restore tests.
- Provide daily report of overall activity, including notification of failures.
- Interact closely with management, engineers, application resources, Database Administrators, Windows and UNIX Administrators, and other architects to plan and support the environments and align with the Data Backup and Restore team's overall strategy and direction.
- Provide service support and guidance to Clients at large, including but not limited to System Administrators, DB Administrators, Web Administrators, application developers, end-user, etc.
- Provide support to other technical staff on any activities related to overall backup administration activities.
- Perform capacity planning and performance tuning of Data Backup landscape.
- Perform problem determination and root cause analysis in Data Backup operations.
- Function as an interface between Data Backup vendors and internal clients.
- Review and ensure Data Backup policies are meeting to support institution's requirements.
- Oversee Data Backup provisioning, monitoring of Data Backup operational systems, and forecast future Backup related resource demands.
- Participate in the planning and implementing of disaster recovery and high availability solutions for critical systems.
- Manage and keep Data Backup disaster recovery environment in sync with primary on a specified periodic basis so, in the event of disaster, operations can be restored in approved timeframes.
- Cyclical maintenance and updates of the operational landscape (software versions, patches, support to vendor SW/HW maintenance activities, etc.)
- Participate in "On Call weekly shift on a rotating or emergency basis.
- Monitor overall operational landscape availability to ensure adherence to agreed service levels (The scope is also inclusive of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and weekly reports of activities and operational status).
- Maintain appropriate documentation and charts describing hardware setups, diagrams, allocations, overall inventory, etc. (this includes suggestions for the update and improvement to SOPs).
- Assist with projects, as assigned, including any other assigned tasks required to support the success of the team.
- Participate in audits, as needed, producing necessary documentation, reports, and explanations.
- Assist with the definition and implementation of corrective measures aimed at correcting possible findings.
- Translate up-to-date information into continuous improvement activities that enhance performance.
- Participate in audits, as needed, producing necessary documentation, reports, and explanations, and implement corrective and preventive action plans approved by unit managers.
Required Skills/ Abilities:
- Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering.
- Cloud and other data backup relevant certifications.
- Role Specific Experience: 7+ years of experience.
- Experience in managing backup infrastructure with stringent requirements for up time service levels.
- Experience managing multi-vendor data backup products specially Spectrum Protect.
- Experience in managing backups for VMWare and databases (Oracle, SQL, MangoDB, Postgress).
- Knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems.
- Knowledge of backup methodologies (full, incremental, differential, image, off-site, LanFree, etc).
- Knowledge about data deduplication.
- Knowledge of storage devices (optical, disk, Virtual Tape Library, NAS, etc).
- Knowledge of networking concepts (LAN, WAN, SAN).
- Experience in working with configuring backup services in cloud.
- Experience in monitoring of backups through Splunk.
- Experience in writing scripts.
- Ability to gather and analyze information or data on current and future trends of best practice.
- Team player with strong technical and user support skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to present and explain technical information to diverse types of audience (management, users, vendor, and technical staff).
*Benefits are available only to W2 Contractors.
*This is not
a remote based position.
*In person interview is required.
*Open to C2C Approved Vendors Only
NTT DATA Services is a leading IT services provider and global innovation partner with 163,000 professionals based in over 50 countries. NTT DATA recently acquired Dell Services. NTT DATA Services emphasizes long-term commitment and combines global reach and local intimacy to provide premier professional services, including consulting, application services, business process, IT outsourcing, and cloud-based solutions. We are a part of NTT Group, one of the world's largest technology services companies, generating more than $100 billion in annual revenues and partner to 80% of the Fortune 100. Visit www.nttdataservices.com to learn how our consultants, projects, managed services, and outsourcing engagements deliver value for a wide range of businesses and government agencies.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit and business needs. The Company will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, citizenship, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, veteran or marital status, or any other class protected by law. To comply with applicable laws ensuring equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with a disability, the Company will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability who is an applicant or an employee unless undue hardship to the Company would result.