DescriptionAbout this role
BlackRock Index Services (BIS) is responsible for the design, development, and administration of ETF, Fixed Income and Equity indices used by both internal and external clients. Our success hinges on producing highly accurate, best-of-breed indices.
BIS is looking for an experienced investment technology professional to design and implement new ETF indices. These indices take the core investment thesis behind many of BlackRock's market leading systematic investment strategies and package them into thoughtfully crafted indices that utilize iShares ETFs as constituents.Role Level - Associate or VPRole Responsibilities
- Index Design and Development
- Collaborate with internal BlackRock investment and client facing teams to bring new index concepts to market. The Index Engineer will play a key role throughout index development, starting with the initial conceptual design all the way through to launch and post-launch activities.
- Ensure BIS standard processes are followed during all phases of the index development process
- Elicit requirements from potential customers and synthesize them into key index features
- Author and take ownership of the official index methodology
- Develop the index back-test and publish the results as an official back-test report. Be able to contextualize and answer client questions regarding the back-test, for instance, by quantifying the impact of specific features and design decisions on index performance.
- Perform data engineering required to extract, transform and quality control data
- Develop the production index calculation code, ensuring all code is documented, tested, reviewed and that all quality gates pass
- Index Support
- Respond to technical questions from clients and perform ad-hoc analyses when needed to support and substantiate the response
- Carry out post-launch support activities such as working directly with index clients and third-party hedge providers to support their index reconciliation projects and processes
- Project Management for new index projects with responsibility for the execution of index deliverables and coordination with colleagues from platform engineering, business management, research, and index production teams
- Work in partnership with internal partners and external clients to align and achieve agreement on key dates. Proactively communicate status updates on a timely basis.
- Platform Engineering
- Participate in the design of the target platform, especially as it pertains to the application of the platform for research, design, development and production of ETF indices.
- Build-out the index calculation and analysis toolbox, a suite of standardized, fully tested and documented code for index research, production calculation, analytics and reporting.
- Define and implement BIS index design standards
- Participate in Internal and External Client discussions and presentations
- Experience and Skills
- B.S. (or equivalent) in a STEM subject area. Masters degree preferred.
- Solid understanding of Unix/Linux and related infrastructure
- Strong Python development experience (~3 years), ideally with significant knowledge of numerical/statistics/ml packages such as pandas, numpy and cvxpy
- Experience working in an agile software development environment and with related technologies (Git, JIRA, ADO)
- Experience with financial market indices
- Significant exposure to quantitative investment strategies, including associated tools (e.g. statistics, optimization, simulation, risk, performance, etc.) and data (e.g. Worldscope, IBES, etc.)
- Experience working with quantitative researchers
- SQL / Database design knowledge and ETL experience (~2 years)
- Project management skills
- Technical writing skills a plus
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com
| Instagram: @blackrock
| Twitter: @blackrock
| LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.