* The role of the Data Modeler is to expand the company*s use of data as a strategic enabler of corporate goals and objectives.
* The Data Modeler will achieve this by strategically designing, developing, and implementing data models for enterprise-level applications and systems. These models shall be
designed at the following layers: conceptual, logical, business area, and application.
* This individual will act as the primary advocate of data modeling methodologies and data processing best practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Develop and deliver long-term goals for data modeling and standards in conjunction with data users, department managers, clients, and other key stakeholders.
* Establish processes for governing the identification, collection, and use of corporate metadata; take steps to assure metadata accuracy and validity.
* Establish methods and procedures for tracking data quality, completeness, redundancy, and improvement.
* Conduct data capacity planning, life cycle, duration, usage requirements, feasibility studies, and other tasks.
* Assess and determine governance, stewardship, and frameworks for managing data across the organization.
* Assist and promote data management methodologies and standards.
* Oversee the mapping of data sources, data movement, interfaces, and analytics, with the goal of ensuring data quality.
* Collaborate with project managers and business unit leaders for all projects involving enterprise data.
* Identify and develop opportunities for data reuse, migration, or retirement.
Skills and Experience Desired
* College degree in computer science, information systems, or computer engineering.
* 6+ years work experience as a data modeler or data architect.
* 4+ years work experience as a data modeler using ERWIN
* 3+ year of Insurance experience, property causality will be a plus.
* Knowledge of TOGAF framework, certification preferred not required.
* Hands-on experience with large-scale data modeling, data mining and business requirements gathering/analysis.
* Experience with Data Warehousing data population techniques for target structures such as Star Schemas, Snowflake Schemas, and highly normalized data models
* Direct experience in implementing enterprise data management processes, procedures, and decision support.
* Strong understanding of relational data structures, theories, principles, and practices.
* Strong familiarity with metadata management and associated processes.
* Highly developed knowledge of database design principles with specific application to a data warehouse development including the handling of history, support for slowly
changing dimensions and techniques for addressing performance issues;
* Experience creating documentation including functional specifications, source to target mappings, system specifications
* Experience in building and maintaining database applications including creation and administration of database objects like tables, indexes, views, physical data constraints,
access privileges and general database administrative tasks.
* Experience in building customized code in SQL, PL/SQL (or equivalent) or other Data-mining / ETL tools.
* Strong knowledge of enterprise data systems and databases. SQL Server and/or Oracle required. Knowledge of both will be an added advantage.
* Hands-on knowledge of enterprise repository tools, data modeling tools, data mapping tools, and data profiling tools.
* Experience with BI tools like Congos, Power BI is preferred.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Excellent problem-solving and time management skills.
* Ability to communicate well with the business and conduct requirement analysis
* Ability to work well in a team environment
* Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
* Dedicated to completing assigned tasks and delivering high quality software under deadline