Since 1851, MassMutual's commitment has always been to help people protect their families, support their communities, and help one another. This is why we want to inspire people to Live Mutual. We're people helping people.
A career with us means you will work alongside exceptional people and be empowered to reach your professional and personal goals. Our employees are the foundation of what makes MassMutual a strong, stable and ethical business. We seek and value unique and varied perspectives and experiences because we believe we are stronger when all voices are heard. We invite you to bring your bright, innovative ideas to MassMutual as we continue to help millions of Americans rely on each other.
Together, we're stronger. Description
At MassMutual, we're passionate about helping millions of people find financial freedom and this passion has driven our approach to developing meaningful experiences for our customers. The Data Engineering team, part of MassMutual's Customer Experience organization, is comprised of highly skilled, collaborative, problem solvers who are motivated to create innovative solutions that exceed the changing needs of our customers and move MassMutual - and the industry - forward.
To continue our cutting-edge work, we are hiring a Data Modeler to join our team. What great looks like in this role
Our ideal Data Modeler has advanced knowledge of application, data, and infrastructure disciplines. You'll use your skills to implement data strategies, build data flows, and develop conceptual data models. You're capable of working independently and communicating effectively to provide feedback on policies, procedures, processes, and standards. The team culture of working collaboratively, cross-functionally, using new technologies combined with the work/life balance provided by MassMutual are core reasons people enjoy working on the Data Engineering team at MassMutual. Objectives of this role
Daily and monthly responsibilities
- Manage database design and data models for a specific application.
- Analyze existing data and recommend changes that lead to a reduction of stored data without impacting business requirements.
- Perform as a technical data steward - understanding tables, data use, data replication, data connection, data lineage - and take accountability for data hygiene.
- Review existing data model and recommend changes to optimize data requirements.
- Analyze source system data and look for data redundancy and duplication.
- Work with Application Architects to review exiting data models and suggest action to reduce input data for storage optimization.
- Work with the development team to implement data strategies, build data flows, and develop conceptual data models.
- Create logical and physical data models using best practices.
- Delivers and provides feedback for data modeling policies, procedure, processes and standards.
- Assists with capturing and documenting system flow and other pertinent technical information about data, database design, or systems.
- Bachelor's degree in computer engineering, computer science, information systems, or related field.
- 8+ years experiences with data analytics, data modeling, and database design.
- Experience in data modeling in transactional and operational reporting and analytical (EDW, Data Lake, NoSQL) solutions.
- Experience with VERTICA
- Advanced knowledge of application, data and infrastructure disciplines.
- Experience with capacity planning, database scripting and package deployment.
- Expertise in tuning and debugging SQL and resolving application specific bottlenecks.
- Experience facilitating meetings and providing presentations to stakeholders and senior leaders.
- Experience using (Erwin, TOAD, or any other data modeling tool) for data modeling.
- Data modeling, data warehousing, dimensional modeling, data modeling for big data, and metadata management.
- Experience with cloud-based databases and data warehouses is a must
- Data Lake and Big Data modeling experience
- Excellent communication, problem solving, organizational, and analytical skills required.
- Authorized to work in the United States with or without sponsorship now or in the future.
- Understanding of enterprise and reporting modeling concepts, including dimensional modeling, snowflakes, slowly changing dimensions, schema on read, irregular dimensions, and surrogate, compound and intelligent keys.
- Advanced degree in computer engineering, computer science, information systems, or related field.
- Able to work independently.
- Experience with Hadoop, Spark, and Kafka is a plus.
- Experience with Scala is a plus.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to present design of the solution to various stakeholders.
- Experience in data modeling and design in the insurance and financial industries.
- Good knowledge of data replication methodology.
- Good knowledge of data warehouse, data mart, and Data Lake.
A career at MassMutual means you will work alongside exceptional people and be empowered to reach your professional and personal goals. Our employees are the foundation of what makes MassMutual a strong, stable and ethical business. We seek and value unique and varied perspectives and experiences because we believe we are stronger when all voices are heard. We invite you to bring your bright, innovative ideas to MassMutual as we continue to help millions of Americans rely on each other.
Ranked No. 93 in the annual FORTUNE - 500 Ranking (FORTUNE - Magazine, June 2018) and recognized as a World's Most Ethical Company by Ethisphere, MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company owned by our policyowners, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It's more than our company structure - it's our way of life. We are a company of people protecting people. Our company exists because people are willing to share risk and resources, and rely on each other when it counts. At MassMutual, we Live Mutual. CORE VALUES Focus on the Customer:
We understand our customers well and look for every opportunity to deliver an experience that is clear, easy, personal, human, empowering and trustworthy. Act with Integrity:
We deliver on our promises by being open, honest and humble and by adhering to the letter and spirit of applicable laws, rules, regulations and company policies. Value People:
We respect and learn from each other's diverse backgrounds, experiences and ideas. We engage and develop people to their greatest potential. Work Collaboratively:
We work together to achieve results by actively listening, seeking, understanding and creating solutions as a unified team driving toward one company, one culture, one brand. Achieve Results:
We focus on winning by exceeding expectations and getting better - everyone, every day.
For more information, visit www.massmutual.com or find us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+, Instagram and Pinterest.
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.