Principal Scientist, Data Science & Engineering
Location: Boston, London, Hartford, NY City, Summit, NJ, or Exton PA
As we develop an enterprise-wide data and digital strategy that moves us toward greater focus on the use of data and data-driven insights, we are seeking a Principal Scientist. In this role, you will be responsible for using ingenuity and innovation to complete complex and high impact data-oriented projects.
What will your essential responsibilities include?
· Organization of large datasets in order to get actionable insights from them to find new data sources and innovative usage of existing data.
· Collecting data from various different sources with our Data Ecosystem Engagement Platform from web APIs to internal databases and unstructured data.
· Carry out exploratory data and statistical analysis so you can navigate a dataset and come out with some broad conclusions based on some initial appraisal.
· Use algorithms, statistics and programming to efficiently go through large datasets and apply treatments, filters and conditions to your data.
· Create meaningful data visualizations (in this you will be assisted by a dedicated Data Visualization COE) that communicate your findings and relate them back to how your insights create business impact.
· Gather and process raw data at scale including writing scripts, web scraping, calling APIs, write SQL queries, etc
· Build and maintain robust data pipelines within our ecosystem to deliver internal and 3rd party datasets as required
· Assist in the integration with 3rd party (external) party data providers
· Deliver ad-hoc data requests, and provide training and assistance for our Functional Data Scientist teams using our cloud-based workbench analysis platform
· Work closely with the business and the EDS business partners to ensure solutions have relevance and enable effective decision making
· horizon scan to stay up to date with the latest technology, techniques and methods
We’re looking for someone who has these abilities and skills:
· Degree in applied Math, Economics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science or other quantitative field
· 10+ years of experience as a Data Scientist or comparable role and at least 3 years of experience involving quantitative data analysis to solve problems
· Broad skills in Statistical and Mathematical reasoning, business communication/leadership, and programming.
· Passionate about finding insights in large datasets, synthesizing and communicating results and driving practical business impact for the company
· Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as the ability to bridge the gap between data science and business management.
· Experience in the full lifecycle of Data Science including:
o collecting and sampling data
o integration of data from multiple sources
o exploring and enriching data
o modelling data and testing hypothesis
o visualize and communicate results
o operationalize models and algorithms developed
· Experience in a selection of (and willingness to learn others) the following technologies:
o Python, Java, Java Script, C#, SQL, or R and visualization(using Python or Java Script)
o Experience with Databases (RDBMS, Graph, NOSQL) and Big Data technologies (Spark, Hadoop, Hive). Experience working in Microsoft Azure environment
o Experience with working with containers, operationalizing and deploying data science/ML models a plus
· Experience of Insurance especially complex P&C Insurance an advantage.
· Great attention to detail and the ability to problem solve.
· Drive and the resilience to try new ideas, if the first one doesn't work. You'll be expected to work with minimal supervision.
· Good planning and organizational skills
· A collaborative approach to sharing ideas and finding solutions.
In this role, you will report to the CoE Lead – Data Science & Engineering.