Nutshell: We are seeking a well experienced Data Scientist ideally with at least a MA in Statistics (or related) and with good experience with SAS to join us in a long-term 18+ month contract engagement. Position will start remote but will sit onsite in St. Louis once safe to do so.
This position is responsible for providing broad statistical expertise, including experimental design, data analysis, sample size justification, and exploratory and final data analyses using mainstream statistical analysis software in support of product and process development for the R&D groups.
- Consult with scientists from different areas in the design and analysis of experiments.
- Keep current in the latest statistical methods and lead statistical method development and programming to address study requirements.
- Interact proactively with individuals and groups on statistical issues and promote the correct use of statistical methods.
- Perform appropriate statistical modeling and/or analysis of project data, interpreting statistical results and preparing summaries and reports.
- Work with and manipulate large datasets.
- Perform exploratory analyses of data as requested to explore for patterns and trends from past studies.
- Prepare presentations on statistical methods to be presented to project leaders and groups.
- Travel as necessary
- Practice safety in the work area
- Keep current in field and maintain a high level of expertise
- Provide training to staff as needed in experimental design, statistical data analysis and statistical process control
- Additional duties as assigned
- Actively acts as a consulting expert in area of technical expertise
- Proven ability and willingness to mentor and guide the less experienced technical staff
SUPERVISION GIVEN AND RECEIVED:
- Mentoring and guidance as required for assigned projects
- Supervision required should be minimal
JOB QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience, and Knowledge):
- Masters degree in Statistics or related mathematical sciences
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience in the food or related industry or equitable experience.
- Well-versed in statistical software for analysis of research data (SAS is a plus).
- Experience with design and analysis of research experiments for product and process development.
- Experience with analysis of variance, regression analysis, mixed models analysis, generalized linear models, categorical data analysis, non-parametric methods, multivariate method, sampling, and process control.
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to analyze data from any source.
- Ability to understand client needs and to communicate technical concepts clearly, concisely, and understandably to non-statistical colleagues.
- Pro-active/Self-Starter with the ability to work independently
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams
- Motivated and willingness to learn; attention to detail
- Leadership, organizational and time management skills, with the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and projects.
- Excellent communication skills through oral, written and presentation interpersonal skills
- Good sense of business/technical interrelationships
- Computer literacy
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS PREFERED BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- PhD in Mathematics or Statistics preferred