This is a virtual position anywhere in the Continental U.S.
The Data Scientist applies a strong command of mathematical statistics, algorithm design, modeling, optimization and business acuity to support and drive the development of data-intensive products and services related to personalized adaptive learning. The position works collaboratively with the Academic, Technical, Product Management and School Management teams to dramatically escalate the organization’s ability to identify, ask and answer relevant questions in order to operationalize a large volume, velocity and variety of data within its domain of expertise resulting in the creation of innovative learning solutions that are both effective and profitable.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
• Drives the process of designing and building solutions that achieve dynamic adaptive learning; identifying patterns, finding and answering important product questions;
• Answers product questions with available data by using appropriate statistical techniques, algorithm design, modeling and optimization in conjunction with business acuity and storytelling capabilities;
• Communicates findings in lay terms to product managers, engineers and other stakeholders; Plays a key role in evangelizing the data analysis results across the organization;
• Drives the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data sources; Defines user action data to instrument;
• Analyzes and interprets the results of product experiments;
• Develops best practices for instrumentation and experimentation and communicates those to product engineering teams.
• Master’s degree in Computer Science/Math/Statistics or relevant field AND
• Five (5) years of experience in data mining/analysis OR
• Equivalent combination of education and experience
OTHER REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• Extensive experience solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches and scientific method
• Expert proficiency in manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varied sources using big data integration and analysis tools (R and Matlab or SAS)
• Knowledge and Experience in application of advanced statistical techniques
• Experience with distributed computing tools (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive)
• Passion for empirical research and for answering hard questions with data
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
• Flexible analytic approach that allows for results at varying levels of precision
• Familiarity with relational databases
• Deep data munging ability to prepare data for machine learning algorithms
• Experience with data cleansing, validation and general quality control principles
• Familiarity with data life cycle management practices including sourcing, discovery, profiling, applying definitions, establishing relationships, data mining and documentation
• Ability to pass required background check
• Ph.D. in relevant technical field
2300 Corporate Park Drive, Suite 200 Herndon, VA, 20171