req2399 Job Title:
Data Scientist Number of Openings:
1 Job Category:
Professional/Technical Employment Type:
Regular Full-Time Shift:
Not Required Location:
Tempe, AZ Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs improved visual representation of data to allow clearer communication, viewer engagement and faster/better decision-making
- Investigates, recommends, and initiates acquisition of new data resources from internal and external sources
- Works with IT teams to support data collection, integration, and retention requirements based on business need
- Identifies critical and emerging technologies that will support and extend quantitative analytic capabilities
- Manages work efforts which require the use of sophisticated project planning techniques
- Applies a wide application of complex principles, theories and concepts in a specific field to provide solutions to a wide range of difficult problems
- Develops and maintains an effective network of both scientific and business contacts/knowledge obtaining relevant information and intelligence around the market and emergent opportunities
- Contributes data to State Farm's internal and external publications, write articles for leading journals and participate in academic and industry conferences
- Collaborates with business subject matter experts to select relevant sources of information
- Develop breadth of knowledge in programming (R, Python), Descriptive, Inferential, and Experimental Design statistics, advanced mathematics, and database functionality (SQL, Hadoop)
- Develop expertise with multiple machine learning algorithms and data science techniques, such as exploratory data analysis, generative and discriminative predictive modeling, graph theory, recommender systems, text analytics, computer vision, deep learning, optimization and validation
- Develop expertise with State Farm datasets, data repositories, and data movement processes
- Assists on projects/requests and may lead specific tasks within the project scope
- Prepares and manipulates data for use in development of statistical models
- Develops fundamental understanding of insurance and financial services operations and uses this knowledge in decision making
For over 95 years, data has been key to State Farm. Data Scientists work across the organization to solve problems and help achieve business strategies.
The team employs sophisticated, statistical approaches & state of the art technology. Team members help build & refine tools/techniques & engage w/internal stakeholders across the organization to improve products & services.
**Note: In addition to Phoenix, these positions may be placed in Atlanta req2405, Dallas req2406 or Bloomington req1913 locations.
Skills & Professional Experience:
*Develop hypotheses, design experiments, & test feasibility of proposed actions to determine probably outcomes using a variety of tools & technologies
*Masters, other advanced degrees, or five years’ experience in an analytical field such as data science quantitative marketing, statistics, operations research, management science, industrial engineering, economics, etc. or equivalent practical experience preferred.
*Experience with SQL, Python, R, Java, SAS or MapReduce, SPARK
*Experience with unstructured data sets: text analytics, image recognition etc.
*Experience working w/numerous large data sets/data warehouses & ability to pull from such data sets using relevant programs & coding including files, RDBMS & Hadoop based storage systems
*Knowledge in machine learning methods including at least one of the following: Time series analysis, Hierarchical Bayes; or Learning techniques such as Decision Trees, Boosting, Random Forests.
*Excellent communication skills & the ability to manage multiple stakeholders across business & leadership levels.
*Exercise sound judgment to diagnose & resolve problems
Positions have a 12-mo incumbency period for lateral moves & 6-mo incumbency periods for a promotional opportunity beginning on effective date of the position.