Individuals within the Data Support Engineer role will work closely with data engineers, digital user experience engineers, IT help desk personnel, business functions, operations functions, and project managers to support the timely delivery of data and ensure its quality. The individuals are responsible for the maintenance of data driven systems to ensure a high level of operational efficiency in delivering data which is used across the firm. Data Support Engineers should have a good understanding of how data is used by various business functions, how data is structured, and the lifecycle of data in order to diagnose the best path for escalation when outages occur. The individuals should have excellent communication skills and be able to juggle conflicting priorities. The individuals should be able to assess outages by analyzing data, and recommend solutions to data engineers and other stakeholders. The persons should work well in a collaborative team environment, and be ready to identify improvements in team operational standards and help in the implementation of improvements. The role requires a natural curiosity for how different systems work. The individuals should be a self-starters and be able to manage their time wisely. Data Support Engineers should be a “voice of the Data Management Office” representing the team to its internal clients. The individuals should have a desire to learn new technologies such as MarkIT EDM, Hadoop, Hive, and Spark, and ultimately to evolve into a more challenging technical role.
- Monitor the operation and output of key data applications via dashboards, email alerts, and other tools.
- Provide technical support, via telephone, email, and chat to determine escalation paths.
- Communicate effectively between IT Help Desk, operations, project managers, and data engineers.
- Understand and use testing systems to verify data quality.
- Identify, develop, and implement new service tools that can help in improving data quality.
- Educate and mentor peers within the firm regarding data technologies used by Data Management Office.
- Participate in creating, refining, managing and enforcing data management policies, procedures, conventions and standards.
- Provide feedback and evaluation of current technologies and operations.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders in the business.
- Bachelor’s degree in CS or other technical degree or equivalent work experience is required.
- Requires over 5 years supporting data usage, analytics and reporting in a fast-paced environment.
- Requires over 2 years of experience in data ingestion and storage systems.
- Passion for supporting business needs, juggling responsibilities, and working in an ambiguous, high pressure environment.
- Highly evolved communication and collaboration skills is required.
- Natural curiosity and self-starter attitude.
- Strong ability to work with business stakeholders with competing requests, tight deadlines, and SLAs.
- Knowledge of data query tool or SQL is required.
- Some experience working with data modeling, data warehousing, and data lake concepts is desired.
- Working experience in both Linux/Unix and Windows environment is required.
- Proficiency with Excel is required.
- Some ability with programming or scripting languages such as Powershell, Python, or Bash is highly desired.
- Experience with ETL tools such as MarkIT EDM, Talend, Informatica, or Boomi is highly desired.
- Experience with big data technologies such as Hadoop, Hive, Spark, and Hortonworks stack is highly desired.