WORKING TITLE: DATA WAREHOUSE ARCHITECT
ROLE TITLE: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST III
SALARY IS NEGOTIABLE COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
PAY BAND 6
The Virginia Department of State Police is seeking qualified applicants for a Data Warehouse Architect position in the Information and Communication Technologies Division located, in North Chesterfield, Virginia. This is an Exempt position; therefore, this position is excluded from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act due to the nature of duties and job responsibilities.
- Captures and analyzes business requirements for an Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW).
- Prepares and presents recommendations for data warehouse/business intelligence solutions options that best achieve business needs; simplifies the data landscape, and increases the ability to discover, manage, and analyze data as a whole.
- Maintains a detailed knowledge base of the underlying data and data structures, and manages data content, current and potential future users, and the quality and integrity of data within the EDW.
- Performs hands-on analysis, design, development and deployment of solutions.
- Designs and develops data warehouse architecture, data modeling and data conversion solutions.
- Establishes standards and guidelines for coding, performance optimization, documentation, quality assurance and production support.
- Develops product-based performance and scalability options to meet requirements.
- Develops Business Intelligence reporting applications and dashboards.
- Establishes and maintains a modern, robust, flexible, secure, reliable, and efficient technology environment.
- Designs varying levels of complex frameworks to support system-wide technical and business architecture requirements.
- Works closely with the engineering and development teams to identify non-functional requirements, build out data visualizations and data access capabilities in support of business requirements.
- Ensures training, cross training/knowledge transfer occurs for self, team members, across teams and clients.
- Keeps up to date on database warehouse/business intelligence products and technologies.
- Assists and provides direction to co-workers in using new techniques and in solving their more complex technical problems.
- Performs other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
- Participates in effective continuity of operations planning by serving as a member of the Continuation Team.
- Considerable knowledge of information systems technology management, data warehousing, and analytics technologies; of large data repositories and/or relational databases; of business intelligence tools; of Oracle, UNIX, and SQL Server environments; and of the analysis, design and development of data warehouses, working with large data repositories and/or relational databases.
- Skill in the use of computers and using Microsoft Office Applications; extract, transform, and load (ETL) experience with Oracle Data Integrator, and Business Intelligence tools - SAP Business Objects.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and translate business needs into solutions; to work with large data repositories and/or relational databases; to work with business intelligence tools to analyze data to identify trends or relationships among variables; to work in Oracle and UNIX environments; to provide training on new techniques and solving technical problems; to establish and maintain and efficient technology environment; to provide training on new techniques and solve technical problems; to work effectively independently and as a member of a team; to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English with developers, data base administrators, information security, business analysts, project managers and with different business areas; and to establish and maintain an efficient technology environment.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a major in Information Systems, Computer Science or related field preferred.
- POLYGRAPH EXAMINATION, BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION, FINGERPRINT-BASED CRIMINAL HISTORY CHECK, AND PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG SCREENING REQUIRED,
- SUBJECT TO RANDOM DRUG SCREENING
- Applications will only be accepted on-line through the Recruitment Management System at . This position is open until filled. Resumes and cover letters may be attached but will not substitute for the on-line application. The Commonwealth of Virginia State Application is the official employment document, which is electronically signed by the applicant as a true and accurate representation of the applicant s education, experience and training. Information on the application is the primary source used for screening the position. Failure to complete any section of the application may disqualify the application for further consideration; therefore, incomplete applications will not be accepted. For questions, please contact the Human Resources Division at .
- Applicants who possess an Interagency Placement Screening Form (Yellow Form) or a Preferential Hiring Form (Blue Form) as issued under Policy 1.30 Layoff (Commonwealth of Virginia Employees Only), must attach these forms with their state application.
- Applicants must live in states east of the Mississippi River. Military applicants must live in or home of record must be in one of the states east of the Mississippi River.
- Elements of the selection process for this position will also include the screening of applications; interviewing of qualified candidates; and salary negotiations. The pre-employment process can take approximately up to three (3) months to complete. The anticipated duration of this process is determined by the successful completion of the above items.
- EEO EMPLOYER
- REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION UPON REQUEST
- AMERICORPS, PEACE CORPS, AND OTHER NATIONAL SERVICE ALUMNI ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY