Swingtech is currently expanding at Ft. Belvoir, VA to support it's team utilizing IBM Business Intelligence (BI) tools and Microsoft SQL Server 2012 R2. We are seeking a Senior Microsoft SQL Server Database Administrator with strong (DB) installation, administration, architecture, support, and management experience for a long term project. The individual selected will be expected to provide SQL database design, development and management expertise as he/she will be accountable for all database service responsibilities for our customer.
- Provide administration, and management of database, clustering, and replication infrastructure (MS SQL Server) in development, quality control, pre-production, and production environments.
- Conduct proactive monitoring of database performance and capability management elements.
- Provide DB maintenance activities such as backup/recovery, updates to service packs and patches, and optimization. Ensure continuity of operations.
- Identify and analyze server requirements; plan the design and deployment of new technologies to be utilized with upgrades and/or consolidations.
- Apply industry best practices encompassing Windows Server 2012 R2 configuration, implementation, and security.
- Conduct server administration, performance monitoring and tuning on the Microsoft OS in support of Microsoft SQL Server 2012 R2.
- Make recommendations to improve overall system performance and application efficiency.
- Manage patch testing, deployment and maintenance activities to ensure compliance with DoD and Army security requirements, to include but not limited to IAVAs and STIGs.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive documentation in support of system configuration and operation (system diagrams, application topology, data flow, SOPs, business processes, etc.).
- Incorporate Windows PowerShell, and other scripting languages to automate tasks.
- Prepare, test and troubleshoot T-SQL Scripts, in support of loading secondary Army systems.
- Troubleshoot and correct any issues related to the various source file loads.
- Participate and interact with other contractors to obtain database source files.
- Assist in gathering reporting requirements and create DB schemas optimized for reporting.
- Create jobs in SQL Server Mgmt. Studio that incrementally load new data into database tables.
- Participates in special projects as required.
Experience, Skills and Knowledge Requirements:
- DoD 8570.01-M IAT Level II certifications (Security+ )
- Bachelor’s degree in technology related field and Eight years’ hands-on experience in MS SQL Server database administration, design and development or if no degree, twelve years’ hands-on experience in MS SQL Server database administration, design and development.
- Knowledge of financial systems in Department of Defense / Federal space;
- Deep expertise in data warehousing, data modeling, data structures and tuning;
- Good analytical and problem solving skills;
- Broad knowledge of the larger data relationships as well as current and contemporary technology architectures, platform paradigms and integration strategies;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including active listening. Asking appropriate questions, clarifying information and writing clear, concise documents;
- Data warehouse experience;
- Experience in data mining (SQL, ETL, data warehouse, etc.) and using databases in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets
- Proven ability in looking at solutions in unconventional ways and the ability to innovate
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- MCSA: SQL Server Certification
- Experience with OLAP platforms: Cognos, SPSS, TM1 and others a plus
- Has the communication skill to effectively interface with military officials, managers, and subordinates.
Must be a U.S. Citizen and should possess a security clearance;
Applicants selected will be subject to a security investigation and may need to meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information;
Able to Commute to Ft. Belvoir, VA 3 to 4 days a week