Larson Texts, Inc. and Big Ideas Learning, LLC produce student-friendly, market-leading mathematics textbooks for kindergarten through college calculus that are used by over five million students each year. Larson Texts has been deeply committed to providing innovative and coherent print, digital, and online materials to the education community for more than 30 years.
Larson Texts is looking for a highly motivated Database Administrator in the Technology department.
General Purpose of Position:
The Database Administrator reports directly to the Technology Department Head. Primary responsibilities include:
- Design, create, and maintain databases for internal and external web sites, applications, and projects.
- Optimize database performance.
- Create and implement database backup and recovery plans.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and create new databases; maintain and update existing databases.
- Install, configure, and maintain database platform.
- Configure and maintain database schemas, tables, indexes, buffer pools and logs.
- Monitor database performance, troubleshoot issues, and resolve problems.
- Analyze database structures and queries and recommend areas for performance tuning and improvement.
- Create, implement and update database backup and disaster recovery plans.
- Analyze and recommend alternatives to existing logging and data retention policies.
- Document database configuration, structure, and procedures, including entity relationship diagrams.
- Review product feature requests and provide insight on schedule, expense, and feasibility of implementation.
- Maintain best practices for data security and integrity.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field
- Minimum of 3 years of database administration experience
- Experience with SQL and RDBMS best practices required
- Expert knowledge of MySQL required; MySQL Enterprise 8 and MySQL Enterprise Backup preferred
- Experience with Linux required; Ubuntu preferred
- Experience with configuring and administering Linux web servers preferred
- Knowledge of data security and encryption best practices
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
The job is located in Erie, PA.
We offer many benefits including health insurance, personal time off, 401k, tuition reimbursement, health club reimbursement, a casual and modern work environment, free parking, and coffee.