When you join New York Life, you're joining a company that values development, career growth, collaboration, innovation, and diversity & inclusion. We want employees to feel proud about being part of a company that is committed to doing the right thing. Through various resources and programs, you can grow your career while developing personally and professionally.
The Senior Database Developer is part of an agile team focused on creating and sustaining an accurate, integrated, and authoritative business information analysis capability with powerful, easy-to-use, and highly available tools. This person works to improve and extend the abilities of data analysts and managers to easily interpret large amounts of complex data in order to identify actionable business insights, make better business decisions, and discover strategic opportunities. This is a highly technical role that includes understanding business data analysis requirements, building new data warehouse components to ingest and transform business operations data, and designing and delivering business intelligence assets. In addition to technical skills, effective communication is a key success factor as changes in scope, effort and timeline to meet business objectives is a constant requirement.
The NYL Direct data warehouse and business intelligence platform is a complex environment requiring expertise with the Oracle database management systems, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) and MicroStrategy.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Work with business analysts and stakeholders to understand requirements for data analysis, data structures, information delivery and reporting.
- Perform data analysis and develop source-to-target data mapping.
- Work with data architects to design Oracle data warehouse components including database tables, views, stored procedures, data marts, etc.
- Develop extract-transform-load (ETL) processes to extract data from various data sources, transform and normalize it as necessary, and ingest it into the Oracle data warehouse.
- Develop test and implement business intelligence cubes and dashboards utilizing MicroStrategy, Tableau, Power BI and other business intelligence tools.
- Test, deploy and promote database objects to system environments following standard methodologies.
- Use sound software engineering principles to ensure that data warehouse components are modifiable, efficient, reliable, understandable, and fault tolerant.
- Perform system maintenance and support including modifying existing data warehouse code as needed.
- Provide production support for production jobs and processes by working with operators, network administrators, technical support staff, application development teams, and 3rd party vendors in order to implement tactical solutions and maintain high availability of data warehouse systems.
- Work with technical support staff to determine root cause of production database application issues.
- Support business users and other stakeholders with the use of data warehouse systems, user acceptance testing, etc.
- Create and maintain documentation for data warehouse components, technical specifications, and other technical documentation for use by the team and other stakeholders.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent.
- Five to seven years of relevant experience.
- Ability to manage workload in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment.
- Experience working in an Agile software development methodology (e.g. Scrum, Kanban).
- Proficient skills with Oracle, SQL Server, SSIS and MicroStrategy.
- Experience with relational and dimensional databases.
- Experience with integrated development environments (IDE) such as Visual Studio.
- Experience with source code management tools such as TFS and Git.
- Strong PC experience including Windows and the MS Office suite.
- Strong oral and written communications.
- Ability to effectively function as a member of a team.
- Ability to share learned knowledge to increase support level of database systems.
- Willingness to learn through on the job experience and to support new technology.
- Willingness to perform additional, unplanned project work as assigned.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Database certifications in Oracle, SQL Server or MicroStrategy.
- Familiar with CA ERWin data modeling software.
Recognized as one of Fortune's World's Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and volunteerism, supported by our Foundation . We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses "Be Good At Life." To learn more, please visit LinkedIn , our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com .
Job Requisition ID: 83694