The Database Engineer II is tasked with developing high profile and mission critical solutions leveraging database systems e.g. RDBMS, NoSQL technologies. This role is responsible for database design, data access components, development and performance/tuning of database solutions. This role involves close interaction with architects, internal software development groups and operational DBAs, focusing on development and implementation of our web-based eCommerce product and our server-based transactions systems. Major Duties & Responsibilities
Qualifications Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Design and develop database components.
- Design and create data models and database schemas.
- Write and Troubleshoot SQL code on a variety of platforms (MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL, etc )
- Design, development and maintain ETL and data replication processes.
- Research and help identify opportunities for leveraging open-source database solutions (PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Hadoop) in our environment
- Participate in development and continual refinement of database standards and best practices.
- Optimize database performance.
- Database performance diagnosis. Troubleshoot performance bottlenecks, read query plans, review SQL response logs, traces etc.
- Act as the third tier of escalation in support of the database infrastructure.
- Manage database project lifecycle.
- Monitor usage trends and suggest improvements. Drive continuous improvement in service delivery quality with emphasis on performance, availability and customer service.
- Inventory systems and retire unused items.
- Refactor systems to improve data quality and reduce maintenance costs.
- Develop and implement procedures for automated testing, build and deployment.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Software Engineering
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience
- 3+ years of experience with Microsoft SQL Server or other RDBMS system (Oracle).
- Advanced software development skills e.g. C#, C++, PowerShell, Visual Basic
- Experience using open source database system PostgreSQL or MySQL.
- Able to work in an Agile environment.
- Knowledge of NoSQL database platforms Cassandra or RavenDB.
- Knowledge and experience working with Big Data Hadoop.
- Knowledge and experience with monitoring systems and framework (MS SCOM, Zabbix, Nagios)