CGI Federal is looking for a mid-level Database Engineer who will establish database management systems, standards, guidelines and quality assurance for database deliverables, such as conceptual design, logical database, capacity planning, external data interface specification, data loading plan, data maintenance plan, and security policy.
Required qualifications to be successful in this role:
- Bachelor’s Degree is required plus 2-5 years of relevant experience (Master's Degree a plus)
- Knowledgeable of federal laws and regulations, directives, instructions, policy, standards, and guidance, so that requirements support security and privacy compliance.
- Knowledgeable of FedRAMP requirements and guidance.
- Experienced in database management and data administration support for medium-to-large databases. Advises/presents on best practices and provides support for database management and administration tasks such as standardizing data names, definitions, usage, and structures.
- Experienced in database structures including design, normalization, documentation, file organization, and indexing and tuning of the design to make sure applications can make efficient use of the data contained within the database.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
Desired Certifications in:
Your future duties and responsibilities:
- Adapts business requirements, developed by modeling/ development staff and systems engineers, and develops the data, database specifications, and table and element attributes for an application.
- Documents and communicates database design.
- Evaluates and installs database management systems.
- Codes complex programs and derives logical processes on technical platforms.
- Builds windows, screens, and reports.
- Assists in designing user interface and business application prototypes.
- Participates in quality assurance and develops test application code in client server environment. Provides expertise in devising, negotiating, and defending the tables and fields provided in the database.
- At more experienced levels, helps to develop an understanding of client's original data and storage mechanisms.
- Determines appropriateness of data for storage and optimal storage organization.
- Determines how tables relate to each other and how fields interact within the tables for a relational model.
- Leads, directs or is responsible for implementation and compliance with information security/information assurance policies, privacy policies, access controls, data integrity, and database systems.
- Leads and directs database specialists to manage databases, manage database projects, and provide database administration functions.
- Leads, directs or responsible for creating, mirroring, backup, tuning data warehouses and implementing, managing and tuning data mining tools , makes recommendations on set up, selection, security, and management thereof.
- Provides design and development of interface capabilities between database systems and other management systems to support access and usage of programmatic data. Manages access and usage of databases including data security.
- Works with business analysts and clients to make sure functional requirements are embedded supported by the database and application developed during the SDLC.
- Develops or directs the development of database documentation such as logical and physical database design, normalization diagrams (i.e., Entity Relationships), and any other documentation necessary to use for the SDLC phases of design to coding.
- Leads, advises or oversees the critical database usage standards, procedures and conventions. Advises on new technologies and best practices in this area.
- Presents technical briefings on designs, recommendations, project progress, status, issues, and solutions on data administration and database development projects.
- Advises, evaluates, tests recommendations for newer technologies that can improve database management, access, security, of traditional datacenter -based databases, distributed and cloud based databases.
- Understands and can lead, direct, develop, and set up SQL programs. Understands and can work with different database structures including hierarchal, relational, and object-oriented systems in a centralized or distributed environment.
What you can expect from us:
Build your career with us.
It is an extraordinary time to be in business. As digital transformation continues to accelerate, CGI is at the center of this change—supporting our clients’ digital journeys and offering our professionals exciting career opportunities.
At CGI, our success comes from the talent and commitment of our professionals. As one team, we share the challenges and rewards that come from growing our company, which reinforces our culture of ownership. All of our professionals benefit from the value we collectively create.
Be part of building one of the largest independent technology and business services firms in the world.
Learn more about CGI at www.cgi.com.
No unsolicited agency referrals please.
We understand that success in the IT services business is contingent on retaining and attracting the best talent - talent like you. At CGI, our team of professionals is dedicated and driven to help our clients succeed.
At our Lafayette Center, we are looking for experienced professionals and graduating students interested in IT careers, focusing on those with demonstrated experience in IT and business, strong problem-solving abilities, and excellent interpersonal skills.
While most companies have a vision and mission, CGI goes a step beyond. We have a company dream: "To create an environment in which we enjoy working together and, as owners, contribute to building a company we can be proud of." This dream emphasizes the enjoyment and ownership principles that are essential to CGI's success.
In fact, we strive to create an environment where our professionals enjoy working together and feel empowered and engaged as owners to build their company and grow their careers. This dream as well as our values are what set us apart -