Database Engineer Location: Sacramento, CA or Bay area, CA or Atlanta, GA (can work from any one of these locations)
Duration: 3-4 Months Contract to PERM with Client
This is not a DBA role, looking for Performance Engineer with experience in AWS RDS, MySQL Arora and Postgrex will be a PLUS
The Database Engineer will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical SQL Server RDBMS systems, to ensure the availability and consistent performance of our corporate applications. This is a "hands-on position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and sustainment of the MySQL / SQL Server / PostgreSQL applications, ensuring its operational readiness (security, health and performance), executing data loads, and performing data modeling in support of multiple development teams. The data warehouse supports an enterprise application suite of program management tools. Must be capable of working independently and collaboratively.
- Manage different databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems.
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Apply data modeling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end.
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes
- Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
- Provide support for critical production systems.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours if required.
- Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and cross-training to other peers and team members.
Skills and Qualifications:
- 8+ years MySQL / SQL Server Administration experience required
- 8+ years' experience in the design and building of data models
- 8+ years' experience in relational database design and tuning.
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Ability to design, develop and create database objects on Microsoft SQL Server platform. i.e. Tables, Indexes, Keys, Stored Procedures, Views, Functions, Triggers, etc.
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery models
- Experience with designing and building ETL routines using SSIS.
- Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for SQL Server
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Flexible, team player, "get-it-done personality
- Ability to organize and plan work independently
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to multi-task and context-switch effectively between different activities and teams
- Implement new technology, plug-ins and APIs a plus.