Position overview / Statement of Work
- The Database Programmer / Analyst is responsible for identifying, capturing, and analyzing the agency's data, contributing to better data decision-making.
- He/she performs data analysis, including conceptualization, modeling, and presentation of data.
- The Database Programmer /Analyst participates as a project member of system implementation initiatives, advising the team on aspects of data usage, taxonomy, migration, profiling, quality improvement, transformation, and dependencies of data-related tasks to the broader program.
- Analyze, design, and create SQL code scripts to extract, transform, load data into Oracle or SQL Data database.
- Document metadata definitions and data base entity definitions.
- Perform data mapping analysis between data sources and targets, construct, and test SSIS ETL packages.
- Understands and applies information and data analysis requirements
- Works with open datasets, including populating and extracting data from internal and public open datasets.
- Cleans and prunes data to discard irrelevant information.
- Develops procedures for data validation, analysis, and presentation.
- Implements statistical models to identify and reveal trends, patterns, and relationships in data to provide guidance to others for decision making processes.
- Supports innovative efforts by driving creativity, acting with agility, and thinking outside current boundaries.
Required Skills/experience of the assigned staff:
- Bachelor's degree or in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business, or other related field. Or equivalent work experience.
- Typically requires 5-10 years of relevant technical and business work experience.
- Experience in an agile environment.
- Experience in using Oracle, SQL Server and SSIS.
Preferred Knowledge & Skills
- Requires in-depth knowledge of business operations, systems requirements and IT processes and technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to perform data analysis identifying, analyzing and interpreting trends or patterns in structured and unstructured complex data sets.
- Strong understanding of how data is used within business processes and its impact on desired business process outcomes.
- Awareness of the security, privacy, and quality requirements for critical data entities.
- Ability to assist in resolving the different points of view and requirements that invariably collide during cross-team and cross-organization efforts.
- Demonstrated ability to use/leverage spreadsheets and databases.
- Strong knowledge of relational databases, data extraction, querying, and scripting.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret trends or patterns in structured and unstructured complex data sets.
- Demonstrated ability to summarize findings, draw conclusions and put together presentations for a wide variety of audiences.
- Applies original thinking to produce new ideas and innovate.
- Experience in Data Warehouse and Data Governance environments
- Demonstrated knowledge in logical and physical data modeling