Candidate will work as part of a team that designs, develops, and maintains flood forecasting and decision making software for the National Weather Service/Office of Water Prediction. Candidate will work very closely with government personnel, hydrologic and Hydraulic scientists and other partners, on a daily basis to make design and implementation decisions.
Title: Database Specialist
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
- Bachelor s Degree in Computer Science and 6 years required experience, 10 preferred.
- Experience with software development life cycle (SDLC) methodologies in a service-oriented architecture and integrated development environment.
- Knowledge with the following software/programming languages/tools: Java, C/C++, XML, Shell Script, Python, SQL, Postgres, Docker Container. Version control tools (e.g., svn, git, etc.)
- Experience with RedHat Linux operating system, Virtual machine.
- Solid hands-on experience with RDBMS modeling/admin and development. Also knowledge of hardware required for effective database operations.
- Involvement in database design and data management planning and implementation.
- Develop modernized database solutions that increase scalability and performance and minimize downtime; perform modeling to assess and enhance database capacity and performance.
- Customize databases and software to meet client data storage needs including the ability to read, create and modify database models.
- Configures databases and web servers to support application software while keeping databases and web servers compliant with defined standards.
- Writes and maintains system documentation according to established standards to facilitate ongoing support and maintenance.
- Work within a small team to include software implementation, O&M activities, technical writing, and coordination meetings.
- Education and/or experience working in Physical Science field.
- Experience with geospatial databases and web-based geospatial technology.
- Knowledge with Ceph platform is a plus
- Analysis of existing scientific prototypes.
- Implement databases and systems, able to integrate and store data being converted.
- Overseeing data mapping processes.
- Recommend improvements to existing database designs to structure the data for more efficient data management and access.