DTS is an innovative company on the cutting edge of safety testing and
research technology. We sustain a culture of hard-working and highly
motivated teams that move the company forward within the fields of
automotive, aerospace, and sports injury prevention on a global scale.
As of June, 2021, DTS joined the Vishay Precision Group (VPG) family of
companies. VPG is a global leader in precision measurement sensing
The Design Engineer, Component & Cable is responsible for performing
a wide variety of cable construction, packaging, shipment, testing and
costing, cable design, cable manufacturing, cable drawing and
documentation tasks, including but not limited to working with USA based
representatives, qualifying, approving, and auditing component
suppliers, working closely with other departments, consulting to Design
Engineers, and participating on the Material Review Board.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive
listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of
the employee for this job. Additional responsibilities and requirements
may change at any time with or without notice. Responsibilitiesand
Duties include but are not limited to:
Work with production to solve component and cable related
- Work with USA based manufacturing representatives on all component
- Qualify, approve, and audit component suppliers.
- Select and validate alternate sources of supply.
- Submit part numbers, with standard titles for new parts and
maintain descriptions to the standard format
- Perform calculation for electrical and thermal performance of
the cable system including current carrying capacity, overload,
induced voltages, short-circuit currents, impedances, etc.
- Work on the following duties:
- Cable construction, packaging, shipment, testing, and costing.
- Cable design, cable manufacturing, cable drawing and documentation
- Cooperate closely with manufacturing and purchasing groups
on excess and obsolete components.
- Manage risks for the subsequent parts concerns:
- Alert of obsolete because of EOL
- Reduce inventory by consolidating duplicate parts and
promoting the use of preferred components.
- Perform component evaluations and qualifications when required
- Provide component level expertise and consulting to
- Participate in design reviews for the purpose of
component selection and standardization.
- Ensure the use of high quality, high reliability,
cost effective components in new designs.
production problems and develop standards and practices to avoid
component problems. Perform failure analysis on problem components. Work with
suppliers to resolve component problems to identify "root
cause" and permanent solutions. Work closely with suppliers and quality assurance team to develop
inspection quality control plans. Perform other related duties and responsibilities as requested by
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Qualificationsand Skills: To perform this job
successfully, an individual must be able to perform the Responsibilities
and Duties satisfactorily. The qualifications and skills listed below
are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities for the
job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering Technology
(BSEET) or similar discipline and substantial related experience
(approximately 5+ years) in an electrical engineering role or
experience in component level design and troubleshooting is necessary.
- Experience with cable test equipment and practices as well as an
in-depth working knowledge of all electronic component types is necessary.
- Familiarity with the following standards and processes is helpful.
- International Standards Organization (ISO) 9000
- Electronics Industrial Association (EIA),
- Industry standards: IEC, AEIC, ICEA,
- American Society for Mechanical Engineers (ASME),
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI),
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE),
- Military Standards (MIL-STD),
- Electronic manufacturing processes, particularly Surface Mount
- Various component manufacturing processes
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at one time, meet deadlines, and
coordinate with other departments is necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to appropriately address and document
details, meet deadlines, and communicate effectively with other
individuals/departments, verbally and in writing, in a professional,
diplomatic manner is necessary.
- Demonstrated proficiency using various computer programs, such as,
Windows 7/8/10, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), Access, and
Acrobat (PDF), as well as experience using drawing tools is necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and apply new technologies, tools,
- Work Environment, Physical Demands, and Equipment Use This
position works in an environment in which safety, environmental and
health concerns may demand constant attention. The work environment
is a production and engineering area and typical business office.
The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit and have the
ability to lift and carry up to 30 lbs. Occasional US and/or
international travel to customer, vendor, corporate, and/or other
sites may be necessary based on business or customer needs. Work
Schedule Work hours will be determined based on business and
customer needs but are predominantly scheduled Monday through Friday
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. ITAR Statement This position must meet
Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a ?US Person? as
defined by 22 C.F.R. 120.15 is required. Equal Opportunity
Statement DTS provides equal employment opportunities to all
employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination
and harassment of any type without regard to race, age, ancestry,
color, creed, disability status (physical or mental), gender,
marital status, legally-protected medical condition (including
pregnancy), national origin, religion, gender identity or
expression, genetic information, sexual orientation, military,
protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by
applicable federal, state, or local laws.