** Contact Nikki Chambers at if you are interested in this position. ** Job Title: DevOps Engineer Location: Portland, OR Contract: 12+ Months Description:
Stand up the ADC's (Aviation Development Centers Department) software infrastructure for deploying containerized applications to cloud, edge compute, and onboard environments. Onboard environments may be aerial robots, terrestrial robots, rugged field vehicles, boats, and more. Support development and maintenance of Portland-area edge compute resources, in conjunction with networking & IT experts. Work with other ops teams on cross-department best practices. In some cases, pivot quickly toward new Proof of Concept/Principle projects. In some cases, continue improving existing process to build overall department capability, readiness, and security. Responsibilities
- As a technical lead and project support lead.
- Work with managers and fellow engineers to distill stakeholder requirements into project-appropriate ops support.
- Help design the ADC's infrastructure and processes for information security, systems security, and equipment firmware/software upgrade.
- Work with core ops team to identify Infrastructure a Code (IaC) tooling and best practices that will benefit the ADC.
- Identify other IaC and automation needed by the ADC.
- Define and track KPI's related to performance of edge compute, uptime and reliability of long-running systems, overall system security, and level of automation.
- Participate in architecture of ADC-facility-to-region network connections (network appliances, subnets, bandwidth requirements, etc.).
- Implement IaC tooling and best practices needed by the ADC.
- Using this IaC tooling, automate deployment, redundancy, and scaling of software services.
- Implement the ADC's infrastructure and process for information security, and equipment firmware/software upgrade.
- Participate in setup and maintenance of traffic routing and network security appliances at ADC facilities.
- Participate in deployment of software to far edge devices, such as drones or ground-based sensor packages.
- Automate this deployment to the extent possible.
- Travel should be less than 50% and mostly within the local area.
- Travel may be required to support field operations or to attend technical events outside the local area.
- Travel commitment is similar regardless of whether the employee lives in/near Yacolt or in/near Portland.
- The ADC operates on a 7:30 am - 3:30 pm PST schedule, with occasional variance for travel and projects.
- 7+ years total experience in the devops space, OR a combination of software engineering and devops.
- 2+ years demonstrable experience as a devops subject matter expert or team lead responsible for planning and tracking of work.
- BS in computer science, computer engineering, other similar technical degree, or equivalent experience.
- Proficiency using Jira or a similar workflow tool with a high level of attention to detail in ensuring process efficiency.
- Proficiency with automation via IaC tools such as Terraform, Kubernetes, Docker, Docker Compose, etc.
- Proficiency with cloud deployment via AWS or a similar provider.
- Proficiency in security best practices for cloud software deployment.
- Proficiency in using modern source control (Git, Mercurial, etc.) and source control methodologies (Git-flow, etc.).
- Proficiency in Linux environments.
- Proficiency with a scripting-oriented language such as python, OR proficiency with an ops-friendly language such as Go.
- Proficiency in writing and maintaining living documentation with tools like Confluence.
- Some background supporting embedded, IoT, native mobile, or another space involving end user / far edge devices.
- Some background in physical networking; familiarity with switches, routers, firewalls, VLANs, subnets, etc.
- 2+ years experience supporting projects that combine cloud-hosted software with custom on-premise hardware and networking. AND/OR 2+ years experience supporting projects that combine cloud-hosted software with edge resources such as a native mobile application or IoT sensor.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at or