DevOps Engineer - 89091 Organization: EB-Environ Genomics & Systems Bio
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory s (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/
) Environmental Genomics & Systems Biology Division ( https://biosciences.lbl.gov/divisions/egsb/
) has an opening for a DevOps Engineer to join the Knowledgebase (KBase) team.
Designed to meet the key challenges of systems biology (predicting and ultimately designing biological function), KBase integrates numerous biological datasets and analysis tools into a unified, extensible system that allows researchers to collaboratively generate and test hypotheses about biological functions. Under general instruction, you will work on the core development and production infrastructure of a multi-site scientific platform working on hardware and software installation, configuration and maintenance. The KBase software stack is complex and modern, using containerization and continuous integration and deployment. The position will help continue the automation of on-premise environment to maximize uptime, scalability and agility.
This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the business needs; and skills, knowledge, and abilities of the successful candidate. What You Will Do:
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
- Participate in the operation and continued development of the KBase platform.
- Documentation of issues, procedures, and practices.
- Support engineers and user support staff in diagnosing operational issues.
- Understand and effectively use existing configuration management and orchestration tools such as scripts and Rancher.
- Understand existing short shell and python scripts, and write short scripts for process automation and monitoring of services.
- Work with version control tools such as git for auditable configuration management.
What Is Required:
- Independently resolve minor service outages.
- Independently develop/improve tools for more complex automation involving CI/CD and container orchestration.
- Write effective scripts supporting automation and reporting.
- Work with engineers and support staff to diagnose operational issues and suggest improvements and mitigations to avoid recurrence.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Bachelor s degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics or related field and a minimum of 2 years professional experience in a DevOps role (DevOps Engineer, Systems Engineer, Site Reliability Engineer, Systems Administrator or similar) or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with Linux administration, including performance monitoring and troubleshooting, networking, storage hardware and software (LSI, LVM, NFS), security, service administration (systemctl, nginx), and DNS administration (BIND).
- Experience with virtualization and container technology such as Docker and associated tools (e.g. docker-compose) and KVM.
- Experience with container orchestration platforms such as Rancher, Kubernetes, Openshift.
- Experience with data stores (MongoDB, Ceph or other blob stores, S3 API, ElasticSearch, ArangoDB, MariaDB), including replication, redundancy, backups, and recovery
- Experience with scripting in Python, bash, or similar languages.
- Experience with monitoring tools such as Nagios or Check_MK.
- Experience with web services and protocols (REST, JSON-RPC).
- Experience with version control, such as Git, GitHub or GitLab.
- Ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent writing, interpersonal communication, and analytical skills.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled. Notes:
- Master s degree in Computer Science or related field and minimum of 3 years related experience or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with Linux administration of Linux clusters using tools such as pdsh and configuration management tools such as Salt Stack, Ansible, Chef or Puppet
- Demonstrated ability to independently create new services and new application stacks using container orchestration platforms such as Rancher, Kubernetes, Openshift
- Demonstrated ability to upgrade/update and migrate data stores (MongoDB, Ceph or other blob stores, S3 API, ElasticSearch, ArangoDB, MariaDB)
- Demonstrated ability to independently write automation and monitoring scripts of at least 100 lines, and the ability to understand and update scripts of up to 300 lines
- Demonstrated experience using version control systems to manage configuration
- Experience working in an academic or research environment
- Experience with hardware support (replacing drives, hands-on maintenance/recovery)
- Experience with cloud computing (GCP, AWS)
- Experience with workflow or batch scheduling (Condor, Slurm)
- Experience with Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment pipelines
- Experience with dynamic HTTP proxy software (Traefik)
- Knowledge of computational biology.
How To Apply
- This is a full time, 1 year, term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
- Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at West Berkeley Biocenter (Potter St.) Bldg. 977, 717 Potter St., Berkeley, CA.
Apply directly online at http://126.96.36.199/counter.php?id=174626
and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/
) addresses the world s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy s Office of Science.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab- Click Here ( https://hr.lbl.gov/
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision ( https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/PayTransparencyNondiscrimination.html
) under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here ( https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm
) to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."