In your role as the DevOps Engineer you will be responsible for the implementation of tools and processes which enable rapid development and deployment of software. Your mission is to embrace continuous integration/deployment in a delivery pipeline that will perform automated quality checks, deploy cloud infrastructure and applications quickly, and provide operational metrics that can be consumed by development teams. An ideal candidate for this role will have a blend of development and operational experience that provides them with a good understanding of the developers they are working with, while also balancing customer satisfaction and maintaining critical systems uptime.
The DevOps Engineer has the day-to-day operations accountability for specific applications. Works closely with team leadership to ensure integration of operations and maintenance to team standards. He/she will have experience in Agile/Lean, DevOps, and an understanding of the tools to support such as Kanban, etc. He/she exhibits a high service attitude and operations discipline to deliver a 24x7, highly-available and highly-performing, production applications.
He/she reviews incidents and project deliverables insuring his/her activities meet or exceed service level agreements, and that requested work is completed on time. He/she will look for opportunities to drive down the MTTR and MTBF with a focus on the automation of any repetitive tasks, proactive notification, and application self-healing. He/she has proven experience in the system operations and administration of multiple applications.
In this role you will partner with your DevOps peers DevOps Release Managers and DevOps Platform Engineers to deliver a fully automated end-to-end release management process.
- Partner with application developers, global technology functions, and local technology operations teams to maintain and support solutions within the Audit and Assurance portfolio
- Lead troubleshooting calls during US hours and document / communicate root cause analysis based on existing processes
- Lead team initiatives to continuously refine our deployment practices for improved reliability, repeatability and security. You ll create plans, collaborate with other DevOps team members, and coordinate with development and business teams. These high-visibility initiatives will help to increase service levels, lower costs, and deliver features more quickly.
- Engage in application performance analysis and system tuning, and capacity planning
- Regularly connect with Business leaders to understand the requirement from the DevOps perspective. Present analysis and recommendations to leadership or discussing the technical merits of solutions with engineers and architects.
- Write code and scripts to automate provisioning of services and to configure services, using tools and languages including PowerShell, Azure CLI / API, Python and Git.
- Design effective monitoring / alerting (for conditions such as application-errors, high memory usage) and log aggregation approaches (to quickly access logs for troubleshooting, or generate reports for trend analysis) to proactively notify business stakeholders of issues and communicate metrics, working closely with these stakeholders, using tools including AlertSite, SCOM, and New Relic.
- Help refine DevSecOps security practices (including regular security patching, privileged account management, SSL certificate updates, minimum-permission accounts and policies, encryption) in compliance with Deloitte security standards and regulations, implement, and verify them, using tools including VigilantShield, HP Fortify SCA, Qualys to analyze and verify compliance.
- Clearly document and diagram deployment-specific aspects of architectures and environments, working closely with Various teams to create application runbooks, playbooks, and knowledge base documents.
- Troubleshoot issues in production and other environments, applying debugging and problem-solving techniques (e.g., log analysis, non-invasive tests), working closely with Development, QE teams.
- Suggest deployment patterns & practices improvements based on learnings from past deployments and production issues, collaborate with DevOps team to implement these.
- Promote a DevOps culture, including building relationships with other technical and business teams.
- Manage Application and Infrastructure compliance (address EOL, security vulnerabilities etc)
- Bachelor s degree in Computer Science, Business Information Systems or relevant experience and accomplishments.
- 5 7 years of experience in the IT field.
- 3 - 5 years of Build and Release Management Coordination/Engineer experience managing builds through development, QA, UAT through to production.
Communication and leadership
- Must be able to provide off-hours / on-call support as scheduled with leadership
- Expert oral and written communication; ability to communicate across technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong influencing and reasoning skills; proven approach to conflict resolution and consensus building
- Command of how to solve complex problems through teaming
- Strong PowerShell experience required
- Understand how to automate builds for developer environments from development through production within a Continuous Delivery model.
- Experience of practical implementations of Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery tools with VSTS, Jenkins or comparable technology or tools.
- Must understand the Scrum Agile methodology and have worked on a Scrum team.
- Strong experience with cloud services - Azure preferred
- A strong understanding of Windows administration
- Fluency in PowerShell scripting language
- 2+ years of Windows system administration with experience in an environment with 500+ servers
- Knowledge of SQL, and non-relational (NoSQL) databases
- Knowledge of networking, firewalls, load balancers etc.
- Knowledge of best practices for IT operations in an always-on, always-available service model
- Experience with monitoring / alerting tools such as New Relic, AlertSite, SCOM
- Good to have knowledge on log aggregation tools such as, Logpacker or Splunk