DevOps Site Reliability Engineer Location:
Remote (Post COVID-Bethesda Maryland) Duration:
Long term contract to hire Overview:
Apex Systems has an immediate opportunity for a DevOps Site Reliability Engineer in Bethesda, MD. If you're interested and would like to be considered please send an updated version of your resume to Annisha Montgomery (
Required Experience of the DevOps Site Reliability Engineer:
- Collaborating with software developers in designing solutions to host and deploy custom business and scientific applications on our PaaS in AWS.
- Joining sprint or ad hoc meetings to discuss requirements for products and brainstorm new technical solutions. Then either collaboratively or independently, implement the solutions, such as a standard offering in the PaaS for hosting graph databases or a supported configuration for a custom application with multiple Docker containers.
- Working closely with other Site Reliability Engineers to enhance and expand fundamental capabilities offered in the PaaS, such as CI/CD, infrastructure as code, and containerized or serverless workloads.
- When CI/CD deployment pipelines fail, you'll troubleshoot these issues, working closely with product owners until the problem is resolved.
- Attending a daily stand-up meeting to report your accomplishments, plans for the day, and any roadblocks you encountered. Your team will do the same, giving you an opportunity to understand and contribute to other ongoing initiatives.
- Breaking down monolithic applications hosted on-prem into micro-service architecture hosted in containers or using serverless workloads. This is part of an effort to refactor applications and shift hosting from on-prem infrastructure to the PaaS in AWS.
- Occasionally present to your team or our software developer colleagues, on DevOps best practices, new and interesting cloud technologies, and ways you approached and solved challenging technical issues during our Tech Talks webinar series.
- Minimum of three years' experience with AWS.
- Experience with commonly used services, such as EC2, S3, Route 53, and RDS, as well as more niche services, such as Organizations, Sage Maker, and Guard Duty.
- Experience with infrastructure as code and automation/configuration management using either Cloud Formation or Terraform to define infrastructure standards for cloud services.
- Ability to use a wide variety of technologies to host container services and registries, continuous deployment and continuous integration services, code repositories, and security vulnerability identification to support cloud infrastructure. Example technologies include AWS ECS, Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins, GoCD, AWS ECR, Artifactory, Twistlock, and Netsparker.
- Good understanding of programming languages such as PHP, Python, Perl, and/or Ruby.
- Experience analyzing solutions components, understanding systems integration challenges, and identifying technology gaps in current components that must be resolved to reach future performance targets and functionality requirements in cloud infrastructure.
- Able to clearly present ideas to both technical and non-technical users and staff to further the adoption of DevOps.
- A solid understanding of networking and core Internet protocols (TCP/IP, DNS, SMTP, HTTP/HTTPS/HSTS, AWS Transit Gateway, and distributed networks)
- Experience designing and implementing IT services following NIST standards such as SP 800-53, SP 800-190, and SP 500-291.
- Skilled in coordinating efforts between disciplines and across organizational boundaries.
- Extensive knowledge about APIs. Ability to design RESTful services and integrate with other data providers, and knowing when to use JSON or XML.
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's degree preferred
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at or