Overview The environment: Software Development
The industry leading software development team at Berkshire Hathaway GUARD Insurance aims to improve our companies performance and empower the organization to be more effective at everything it does. Our software platform encompasses all areas of the business from policy administration and claims handling through document management and workflow. GUARD developers enjoy a competitive total benefits package including profit sharing, relaxed dress codes, an opportunity to earn extra cash, and a modern environment conducive to creative thinking and team work. Responsibilities The Role: Development DBA
As a development DBA at GUARD, youll work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with programmers and other partners. You will be a key member of the team that works to ensure that our system is fast, reliable, secure, and scalable. Youll be working with large and rapidly growing databases, and your role will be to ensure that our sql access is efficient, reliable, and secure. Our programming team and process is remarkably agile, with up to 15 releases each day. Current OLTP production data encompasses several databases, thousands of tables, and about 1.8 TB of data, with growth expected to triple that in size over the next few years. Responsibilities
- Review existing code and recommend/implement optimizations
- Review existing database schema and recommend/implement optimizations
- Review indexes to ensure that indexing is appropriate and optimized for performance.
- Identify areas of developer knowledge where additional training may be required
- Host formal and informal training sessions to teach best practices and design patterns
- Use tools such as profiler, scripts, Solarwinds and others to identify items that can be optimized.
- Youll assist the production database team in ensuring system stability, uptime, and monitoring. This responsibility includes participation in the on-call rotation.
The best candidate for this role should
- Have at least four years of experience in software development, with a deep focus on troubleshooting and optimizing SQL
- Have familiarity with industry standard tools, including tools bundled with SQL Server, third party scripts, and other tools that help to identify performance issues
- Have sufficient familiarity with reading code, such C# or C# /MVC to understand the flow of logic and interactions with the database server
- Be comfortable presenting to groups of small to medium size
- Have excellent, clear, and tactful communications skills.
- Have experience designing and changing indexes.