This is a permanent direct hire position (annual salary, full benefits, potential bonus, etc.)
Key experience needed:
- 60% Managing development team
- 40% hands on Java development
- Manage team of about 7 developers
The Dev Manager (Software Development Manager) contributes to establishing and maintaining timelines, creating plans for established goals, as well as coordinating the efforts of a development team to achieve said goals. Additionally, the individual in this position is expected to contribute to development efforts, where able and appropriate, to assist in deliverables.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lead/Coordinate a team of developers to meet objectives & goals
- Create well-organized plans and provide estimates.
- Work closely with the senior IT leadership to properly allocate team resources.
- Understand business requirements and how they translate into application features.
- Collaborate with a team of IT professionals to set specifications for new applications.
- Design creative proof of concepts according to specifications as needed/appropriate.
- Develop high quality source code within assigned deadlines.
- Perform unit and integration testing before promoting or committing code/solutions.
- Develop technical documents and handbooks to accurately represent application design and code.
- Learn the intricacies of the different business units so as to better understand and identify common and nuanced issues that may arise in the process of the SDLC.
- Troubleshoot and debug applications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical: Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
- Business Acumen: Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
- Conceptual Thinking: Generates creative solutions. Translates concepts and information into images. Applies design principles. Uses feedback to modify designs. Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Planning/Organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management: Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
- Strategic Thinking: Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; understands organization's strengths and weaknesses; analyzes market and competition; identifies external threats and opportunities; adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Technical Skills: Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Written Communication: Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proven experience as a software developer.
- Experience in managing a software development team
- Experience in designing and building applications.
- Ability to program in at least one major object oriented programming language such as C# or Java (J2EE).
- Excellent understanding of best practices in software design and programming principles.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Analytical thinking and problem-solving capability.
- Great attention to detail and time-management skills.
- BSc/BA in computer science, management, or relevant field;
- 5 years of relevant experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certified application developer is a plus.
- MSc/MA is desired.