Power the economic growth and competitiveness of New York State by providing customers with low-cost, reliable power and the innovative energy infrastructure and services they value.
This select 12-week paid internship program begins June 2019 and ends August 2019.
Our Developmental Intern Program provides high performing students with the opportunity to gain a broad view of the New York Power Authority s role as the nation s largest state-owned public power organization. This program, with critical job experience, is designed to give you a solid foundation for your career.
As an intern, you will be assigned a mentor to guide you with challenging assignments and to help you learn the skills needed in today s workforce. While gaining valuable work experience, you will make real contributions to our organization. Interns will be given challenging work assignments where they will apply computer and engineering principles to the planning, analysis and design engineering tasks associated with hydroelectric, fossil fuel, and transmissions facilities. In addition, interns will be placed with key senior engineers to analyze, create and review designs, and write reports and documents for engineering tasks for NYPA s transmission and generation facilities.
Projects the intern will participate in:
* Day to day issues in running 500 MW Power Plant from an electrical perspective
* Replacement of the 500 MW unit generator step up transformers
* Plant NERC compliance issues
* Instrument databases
* Plant battery monitoring system
* Arc Flash Protection
Goals/objectives the intern will achieve working on this project:
- Verify that all equipment is properly labeled for Arc Flash Protection
- Assure that NERC compliance documentation is submitted on time
- Personnel Safety and its use in a Power Plant environment
- Create accurate Instrument databases for improved tracking and unit performance
- Update Outage database and assist in planning turbine minor outage
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities the intern will walk away with after this internship
Key competencies & Skills needed to perform the job:
* Knowledge of Power Plant fundamentals, terminology and electrical engineering fundamentals
* Proficient in Excel
* Strong computer knowledge to be able to work with PI (Plant Information) program.
Education, Experience and Certifications
* High School/Equivalent
* Minimum 3rd or 4th year Engineering student. Grade Point Average must be at least 3.0 and student transcript required with resume.
* Less than 1 Year of Experience
The New York Power Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer