Power the economic growth and competitiveness of New York State by providing customers with low-cost, reliable power and the innovative energy infrastructure and services they value.
This select 12-week paid internship program begins June 2019 and ends August 2019.
Our Developmental Intern Program provides high performing students with the opportunity to gain a broad view of the New York Power Authority s role as the nation s largest state-owned public power organization. This program, with critical job experience, is designed to give you a solid foundation for your career.
As an intern, you will be assigned a mentor to guide you with challenging assignments and to help you learn the skills needed in today s workforce. While gaining valuable work experience, you will make real contributions to our organization.
The projects that the intern will participate in are:
* Intern will support the Build Smart New York Electrical sub-metering projects consisting of Smart Meter and communications upgrades and installations on NYPA s facilities and electric car charging stations. The Intern will also support the Municipal/Cooperative metering upgrade projects consisting of high-end multifunction meter, communications, and instrument transformer upgrades in NYPA customers substations. The intern will work with a NYPA engineer to complete the detailed engineering drawings for the installation, program meters in the Metering Lab, test meters using state of the art lab equipment and write field installation procedures for NYPA technicians including site visits to assess field condition, perform engineering walk down and support testing.
* The intern will be responsible for the update of meter block diagrams used to document revenue and operational metering systems. Intern will analyze information dispersed on various documents, research NYPA drawings and walk down equipment in the field in order to update or create new engineering block diagrams.
Intern will also work in the Meter Engineering Lab to conduct engineering testing on advanced smart meters, instrument transformers and communication equipment. Intern will assist in the development of lab and field testing of electrical equipment.
Goals/objectives the intern should achieve by working on this project:
* Intern will learn about advanced electrical metering and real-time power system monitoring through hands on work in the engineering lab.
* Intern will learn about instrument transformer testing and meter testing using the latest, high performance test equipment in the lab and possibly field environment.
* Intern will learn about engineering drawings and how to navigate elementary, one line, and wiring drawings. They will also learn engineering drawing tools such as AutoCAD/ Visio.
* Intern will be exposed to a variety of work performed by Meter Engineers and Technicians in the lab, office and field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities the intern will walk away with after this internship
* Key competencies needed to perform this job (technical, including computer applications):
* Coursework in power systems is a plus.
* AutoCAD/Visio experience is a plus in addition to strong computer skills.
Critical skills area(s) the intern will support:
* Intern s contribution to update the Meter Block Diagrams will enhance the efficiency of the Metering Group, and will be used during troubleshooting of meter system by engineers as well as during engineering replacements and field testing of equipment. Meter Block diagrams will be used by Metering group as well as Marketing Department and ERM staff involved in settlements and interpreting meter data.
* Intern will develop skills in engineering analysis of advanced revenue metering and control systems, understanding the design, and testing/calibration criteria.
Education, Experience and Certifications
* High School/Equivalent
* Minimum 3rd or 4th year Engineering student. Grade Point Average must be at least 3.0 and student transcript required with resume.
* Less than 1 Year of Experience
The New York Power Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer