SHIFT: Day Job
Your Talent. Our Vision. At Anthem, Inc.,
it's a powerful combination, and the foundation upon which we're creating greater access to care for our members, greater value for our customers, and greater health for our communities. Join us and together we will drive the future of health care
This is an exceptional opportunity to do innovative work that means more to you and those we serve at one of America's leading health care companies and a Fortune Top 50 Company.Director, Design & Incubation
As Director, Design & Incubation you'll report to the Staff VP Innovation Design & Incubation and shape the team's portfolio and direction by leading the discovery and prioritization of business needs and solution concepts to fuel our innovation pipeline.
You will collaborate with our business partners across the organization, leveraging design thinking to assist them in assessing needs, analyzing opportunities, and generate proof of concepts that can be tested to demonstrate value. Then you will champion the highest value initiatives, developing and presenting the business case around them, and ensure that they are placed with the right team to implement them and see the value realized.
This is an execution focused role for someone who is skilled at breaking down complex problems to their root causes, managing priorities, projects, and stakeholders to deliver elegant and effective solution concepts. Key to your success will be grit, the ability to navigate the complexities of a large organization, and ability to quickly build a trusted rapport with business stakeholders and their team members. You will be looked to as a collaborative and valued thought partner who uses strategic and human-centered design perspectives that convert challenges into opportunities. Responsibilities:
Skills needed to thrive in this role:
- Own Identification/Opportunity Analysis to uncover opportunities and create high-value, technology-enabled solutions to complex business problems.
- Leverage design thinking and Human-Centered Design methodologies to facilitate strategic problems solving workshops for complex companywide initiatives.
- Develop relationships with the business units to identify opportunities for innovation by understanding problems, needs, and ideas from the business, the customers, and the members and effectively formulates innovative solutions following Anthem's innovation process and model.
- Use data and marketplace research to prioritize and create business cases for leading the development and implementation of complex product strategies for both internal and external customers.
- Own the development of business requirements and ROI analyses. Adept at presenting and defending assumptions in front of executive teams.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships, providing thought partnership to leaders across Digital and the Enterprise.
- Own multiple work functions/applications or major projects/programs with broad scope and strategic business impact
- Work collaboratively with a cross-functional structure and collaborate with a high-performance team.
- Track outcomes and manage activities and program performance in accordance with budget and strategic direction.
- Strong ability to employ a hypothesis-driven approach to tackle complex problems by leveraging the appropriate methodologies, such as a design thinking or Human-Centered Design
- Strategic mindset and the ability to see and act within the bigger picture while connecting dots and finding opportunities for collaboration
- Skillful at building consensus and making thoughtful, data-driven recommendations for project / program prioritization, solution design, issue management, risk identification and mitigation
- Excellent business judgment and a practical, common-sense approach to getting things done
- Track record of discovering solutions that delight customers and stakeholders, and deliver on the intended value proposition
- Masterful cross-functional communication to ensure all technical and non-technical stakeholders can collaborate effectively and stay engaged throughout the lifecycle of a project
- A "radar" for identifying when you or a struggling project needs additional guidance from leadership and being able to escalate it appropriately.
- Ability to insightfully examine the status quo, analyze opportunities for improvement, creatively generate solutions, and demonstrate the grit to realize the change
- Ability to effectively collaborate and win the respect of your peers and stakeholders.
BA/BS, 4+ years of experience in Design Thinking, Human-Centered Design, and New Product Development, or any combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background.
Demonstrated results with progressively increasing responsibilities and proven ability to manage multiple tasks, projects, and work with a geographically distributed team.
MBA, experience in Healthcare (Payer or Provider), or consulting background (Bain, McKinsey, BCG) or experience with global design or innovation consulting firm (IDEO, Frog Design) highly preferred.
We offer a range of market-competitive total rewards that include merit increases, paid holidays, Paid Time Off, and incentive bonus programs (unless covered by a collective bargaining agreement), medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, stock purchase plan, life insurance, wellness programs and financial education resources, to name a few.Anthem, Inc. is ranked as one of America's Most Admired Companies among health insurers by Fortune magazine and has been named a 2019 Best Employers for Diversity by Forbes. To learn more about our company and apply, please visit us at careers.antheminc.com. An Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran. Anthem promotes the delivery of services in a culturally competent manner and considers cultural competency when evaluating applicants for all Anthem positions.