Company confidential is looking for an experienced and highly technical individual to fill the newly created Director of Cloud Infrastructure. This position will play a key role in the development and implementation of the company s cloud strategy. This role requires an individual that is passionate about technology, is forward-thinking, and a thought transitional leader. The candidate needs to be highly collaborative, willing to leave their ego at the door and work together towards shared goals of success within the team and company.
The potential candidate should have some management experience, but ultimately could be anyone that has the skills and experience necessary to be successful in the role. This Director level position is specifically responsible for the Linux engineering team and will handle the day to day design, management, and maintenance of various systems and services within the cloud infrastructure environment. The candidate will play a key role in ensuring maximum performance, availability, and reliability. This position will be critical in the success of the IT infrastructure department and will report up through the Senior Director over Infrastructure Operations.
This position will be hands-on, highly technical, and require an individual that can act as a mentor and technical resource for other staff members while still handling day to day management of the cloud environment. The candidate must be highly collaborative and willing to work with key stakeholders, both inside and outside the department to ensure continued success. As the company is right in the middle of its cloud migration and optimization, this position will play a key role in the success of that migration and optimization and continued operation of the cloud environment.
This position will be initially responsible for the on-premise and cloud infrastructure of all Linux systems. These systems handle web applications, back end databases, and other related services. Expert-level knowledge of designing, implementing, troubleshooting, and maintaining Linux, Apache, MySQL and variants, PHP frameworks, and other associated systems on-premise and in a cloud environment is critical to the success of the position. The position needs to be able to identify areas of deficiencies, develop innovative solutions, and implement secure and stable systems.
As this is an IT position, after-hours, on-call rotation, and some travel may be required.
This position has growth potential to take on additional roles, responsibilities, and titles as the candidate proves their ability to build and maintain a world-class environment.
Responsibilities in this role will include:
- Implement best practices with best of breed applications to ensure infrastructure can meet business needs and requirements.
- Build highly available and scalable systems, services, and applications.
- Lead the design, implementation, operation, and management of Linux based on-premise systems and current and future AWS cloud services.
- Automate everything that can be and find creative ways to automate those that can t.
- Serve as a technical expert and resource for the Linux cloud environment.
- Build all systems, applications, and services with a security-first mindset.
- Take on the task of moving the environment to a serverless infrastructure where possible.
- Work with stakeholders in and out of IT to build out technical solutions based on individual group requirements.
- Build out everything as Infrastructure as Code for the production environments
- Create and maintain technical documentation for managed services and systems
- Build out monitoring systems to ensure maximum performance and uptime.
- Ensure the team is providing timely and responsive support both within and outside of IT for the systems supported by the team. This may include call rotations, after-hours work, and weekends.
- Assist with the building out of business continuity planning, disaster recovery, and testing.
- Coordinate planned service outages with all IT and business groups and ensure 24/7/365 coverage.
- Play a key role in developing short- and long-term goals, strategies, and objectives. Help with the development of action plans that present challenging but realistic deadlines.
- Ensure that stakeholders are suitably educated on issues that may affect them using non-technical, but clearly communicated means.
- Build and maintain metrics necessary to support KPI reporting as related to the group s responsibilities.
- Build and maintain knowledge of new technologies that provide value to the organization and take action to introduce those technologies through documentation, training, recommendations, or proof of concepts.
- Manage IT staff through recruiting, training, coaching, and communicating job requirements. Appraise staff performance and document through quarterly assessments.
- Handle change management process and ensure the team is compliant with all change management policies concerning upgrades, troubleshooting, implementations, and day to day management of systems.
- Have a continuous improvement mindset that looks for opportunities to improve efficiencies, reduce costs where possible, and refine processes where needed.
Qualifications required by this role include:
- 5 + years of experience managing enterprise scale infrastructure across compute, networking, and storage.
- 5 + years of managing Linux, Apache, PHP frameworks, and MySql or variants.
- 2 + years of cloud services experience, preferably AWS.
- Experience with cloud formation, Terraform, infrastructure as code, and shell scripting
- Experience with PHP, Python, and other languages a plus.
- Deep understanding of how to design, implement, and manage Linux systems
- Excellent troubleshooting skills to quickly identify and eliminate issues as they arise
- Ability to work and communicate under intense pressure during outages and other critical project implementations.
- An innate desire and curiosity to seek out and learn new and innovative ways to handle complex issues.
- Experience with designing, implementing, and operating IT systems within a cloud environment
- Possess a strong security first mindset in ensuring that systems are secure by default in all steps of the systems lifecycle.
- Understand high availability, business continuity, and disaster recovery principles.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and organizational skills focused on a results-oriented mindset.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to discuss highly technical subjects with non-technical staff.
- Solid customer service skills when interfacing with other departments within the organization.
- Excellent medical and dental plan
- 401K plan with matching contribution
- Paid time off
- Employees stock program