Job Title: Director Data Networks
Salary Range: Min: $120,456 Mid: $160,608.50 Max: $200,761
Points: HAT 994
Dept/Div: IT/Office of IT Infrastructure & Operations
Supervisor: Chief, IT Infrastructure & Operations
Location: 2 Broadway and other locations as required
Hours of Work: 9:00 AM -5:30 PM (7.5 hours/day) or as required
Posting Close Date: Open Until Filled
In order to protect our employees and continue to provide safe and reliable service to our communities, as of November 14, 2021 we are requiring all new MTA hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their start date. MTA will consider exceptions for religious and medical reasons, where appropriate. "Fully vaccinated" means you must have both doses of a 2-dose vaccine and two weeks have elapsed since the second dose or have received 1 dose of a 1-dose vaccine and two weeks have elapsed since the dose. Proof of your vaccination status in the form of a CDC vaccine card must be submitted prior to your start date.
The Director, Data Networks manages all architecture, engineering, implementation, operations, 24x7 monitoring and troubleshooting of data communications and related enterprise network systems for the MTA's vast network infrastructure including wide area networks (WAN), local area networks (LAN), and wireless networks, data centers, internet service providers, cloud services providers and facility cabling infrastructure.
The position supports all MTA Agencies, covering the five boroughs of NYC, Long Island, New Jersey, from Westchester to Port Jervis and Connecticut to New Haven.
The position is accountable for leading and directing the planning, development, and continual evolution of the data network strategy, bringing a current knowledge and future vision to the data network functional areas of responsibility to enable the MTA to achieve its overall strategies, goals, and objectives.
This includes development and implementation of state-of-the-art architecture, setting standards, developing and implementing policies and procedures, analyzing and predicting trends, developing long-range plans designed to maintain cost effectiveness and competitiveness in all network functional areas.
The position is responsible for data network services that align with the MTA's business strategies and goals to: 1) Reduce risks (e.g., outages, security breaches, data loss) as they relate to critical MTA business systems, 2) Improve service levels, performance, and availability/resiliency, 3) Design for flexibility to support changing business requirements, 4) Optimize / reduce the total cost of ownership and 5) Protect business operations with a proven and tested disaster recovery and business continuity plan.
Directs and leads planning efforts for the MTA's data networks, including new networks, new sites, new services, and upgrades of equipment, software, and services; leads efforts:
Network Standards and Procedures
- To develop long-term, corporate-wide data network technology need assessment
- For evaluation, selection, implementation, and maintenance of data network systems, ensuring appropriate investment in strategic and operational systems.
- To develop overall strategies for hardware acquisition and integration, which will ensure data network capacity, resiliency, stability, redundancy, and availability to meet business demands.
- To define and manage Disaster Recovery plan for data networks and for the data network group.
- To review changes in trends of computer and system technology, provides responsive advice and communicates to management.
- To communicate IT plans, policies, and technology trends throughout the company.
- To evaluate existing and new networking technologies for data enters, wireless, storage, remote facilities and for more efficient use of new and existing technologies.
- To promote standardization across all hardware and software platforms under the data network umbrella.
- To oversee operational cost; and to conduct near and long-term financial estimates for expanded functionality and user base.
Directs and leads efforts to set and maintain data network standards; leads efforts:
- To develop and implement data network standards.
- By reviewing, advising, commenting, and approving application, security, and infrastructure design specifications to ensure these conform to MTA IT data network standards and strategic direction.
- To develop, implement, and enforces policies and procedures to ensure the protection of IT data network assets and the integrity, security, and privacy of information across the networks.
- To develop and enforce policies and procedures to ensure the integrity of all data network components.
- To define data network hardware and software standards in collaboration with stakeholders and owners.
Directs and manages efforts to deliver data network services, to resolve issues that occur and to improve these services ; leads efforts:
- To manage State of Good Repair (SORG) and maintain the integrity of all network systems.
Management and Oversight
- To determine root causes of incidents/problems, to take corrective action, and to bring continuous improvement to network services and operations.
- To test network performance and provide network presentation statistics.
- To ensure application security levels are maintained on network infrastructure.
- To ensure that data networks conform with all MTA Security requirements.
- To coordinate with IT Stakeholders on requirements for data networks and recommended solutions based on existing and new data networks engineered solutions.
- By directing performance of feasibility studies for different upgrade projects, conversions, and improvements.
- And is accountable for ensuring technology projects incorporate appropriate planning, technical analysis, budgets, and resource management to meet deadlines and objectives. This includes high-level designs, technology assessment, technical architecture review, staff & resources, implementation/deployment schedules, financial estimates, and tracking/recording/reporting.
Leads and manages the data network teams of MTA network engineers and technicians, as well as coordinates with companies that provide network-related services; leads efforts:
- By directing network managers and network analysts and technicians to utilize best practices
- By ensuring that network staff receive appropriate training and had have the skillsets to deploy and support network technologies.
- By providing direction on integration with various cloud service providers, co-located data centers, and other remote sites.
- By determining pertinent information required by management to make effective decisions. Ensure this information is gathered, processed, distributed, and used in a timely, accurate and cost-effective manner.
- By ensuring compliance with IT assets management policies and procedures including inventory maintenance and associated documentation.
- By assisting MTA Procurement in working with vendors and contractors for infrastructure-specific products and services.
Leads efforts to attract, develop, coach and retain high performance team members, empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility, span of control and performance.
- Advanced knowledge of networking, wireless, security, and mobility technologies.
- Advanced knowledge of Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure cloud technologies.
- Advanced knowledge of Cisco, Avaya, F5, Gigamon, Infoblox, Cisco ICE and Forescout networking technologies.
- Extensive knowledge of industry trends related to MTA business goals and objectives.
- Exceptional verbal and written skills.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related discipline OR equivalent of education and progressive responsible experience.
- Plus, a minimum of 12 years of Information Technology experience with at least 6 years of progressive IT managerial experience.
- 5 years of IT planning and supporting strategic business goals is preferred.
As an employee of MTA Headquarters you may be required to complete an annual financial disclosure statement with the State of New York, if your position earns more than $101,379 (this figure is subject to change) per year or if the position is designated as a policy maker.
How To Apply
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.