Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
At Houston Methodist, the Director Business Analytics position is responsible for the Physician Organization Administration department and supports an enterprise wide business intelligence framework that will provide the organization with the appropriate tools and knowledge to optimize effective evidence-based decision-making. In addition, the position will be responsible for the direction and oversight of analytics and reporting to support financial, clinical, and quality goals, product development, and business strategy. This position will oversee and support Methodist Applications that include but not limited to MARS (ERP), EPSi and EPIC along with 3rd party applications (PBI).
The Director position responsibilities include overseeing the activities of the department staff, ensuring quality, productivity, functional excellence and efficiency to accomplish strategic and operational objectives. In addition, this position is accountable for employee engagement, adequate staffing levels, budget development and compliance, staffing decisions such as hiring and terminating employment, coaching and counseling employees on work related performance, and developing and implementing policies and procedures to ensure a safe and effective work environment. This position also ensures training, monitoring and operations initiatives are implemented which secure compliance with ethical and legal business practices and accreditation/regulatory/government regulations.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
1. Directs, develops and implements strategic and operational/high level projects and processes either through independent/highly autonomous work or through the facilitation of work teams to enable the effective and efficient completion of objectives. (EF)
2. Oversees management of and ensures development for staff to meet overall objectives in terms of quality, service and cost effectiveness. Provides timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem. Directs management responsibilities of selection, scheduling, supervision, retention, and evaluation of employees. (EF)
3. Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department turnover and/or system metrics on employee engagement indicators: action readiness score, tier level. (EF)
4. Provides leadership and communication to maintain a competent and engaged employee group by conducting regular department meetings to review policies and procedures and operational matters, rounding on all employees, completing performance appraisals, conducting new hire feedback sessions, coaching/corrective counseling, and providing recognition/commendations to achieve desired outcomes. (EF)
5. Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic relationships between ones area and other areas, teams, departments, and units to achieve business goals. Drives the promotion of teamwork within and between departments; participates and/or leads and facilitates department process improvements as needed. (EF)
6. Identifies intelligence needs of each department through one-on-one communications with key employees; duties specific to this function may include the assessment of the following: what decisions need to be made, why decisions need to be made, when decisions need to be made, and who will use the intelligence to make the decisions. Develops policy and action plans for department that ensure talent development (recruitment, retention, and staff learning and development, satisfaction and well-being) in alignment with Physician Organization goals as well as other system-wide talent development initiatives. Develops and maintains strong partnerships with customers to understand their processes and needs, translating those into functional specifications for BA reports, integration, and applications to realize business objectives. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
1. Oversees department operations, designated projects, schedules and activities as needed to ensure that goals or objectives are accomplished within the prescribed time frame. Sets priorities and functional standards, giving direction to staff as necessary to ensure the best possible delivery of service and high customer/patient satisfaction. (EF)
2. Drives department service standards and activities to impact department and/or system score for patient/customer-based satisfaction, through role modeling and fostering accountability. Serves and actively participates on various entity committees as a voice for the department. (EF)
3. Partners with customers and team members to coordinate discovery, planning, or follow up sessions. Translate business requirements into viable solutions, Identifies potential benefits, and re-engineers workflow/processes to achieve anticipated benefits. Develops strong collaboration with key customers and effectively manages difficult conversations; Maintains solid relationships with business area leaders to ensure effective planning and scheduling of initiatives (EF)
4. Plans and organizes day-to-day assigned IT department operations, schedule and activities. Sets priorities and functional standards, giving direction to staff as necessary to ensure the best possible delivery of service and high customer/patient satisfaction. Drives department service standards and activities to impact department and/or system score for patient/customer-based satisfaction, through role modeling and fostering accountability. Serves and actively participates on various entity committees as a voice for the assigned department. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
1. Ensures a safe and effective working environment; monitors and/or revises the department safety plan and/or any specific accreditation/regulatory required safety guidelines. Responsible for staff maintenance of credentials and competencies, per accrediting/ licensing agency and/or department guidelines as applicable. (EF)
2. Employs a proactive approach in the optimization of safe outcomes and information systems by monitoring and improving the department workflow and enhancing operations, using peer-to-peer accountability and identifying solutions via collaboration. Implements process improvements utilizing tools such as lean principles. Role models situational awareness, using teachable moments to improve safety. (EF)
3. Responsible for employee compliance to policies and procedures and performs associated actions upon non-compliance (i.e., licensure/certification compliance, focal point review requirements, disaster plan, in-services, influenza immunization, wage and hour, standard hours, timely termination submission, timely timecard approval, etc.). (EF)
4. Supports operational and strategic decisions through the collection, analysis, interpretation and communication of information to key decision-makers. Reviews team projects on a routine basis, seeks information about completion obstacles and redirects staff focus and/or manages customer expectations as needed. (EF)
5. Maintains strong controls related to data quality and integrity. Employs a proactive approach in the optimization of safe outcomes by monitoring and improving the department workflow, using peer-to-peer accountability, and identifying solutions via collaboration. Adopts lean principles in driving process improvements. Maintains strong controls related to data quality and integrity. Employs a proactive approach in the optimization of safe outcomes by monitoring and improving the department workflow, using peer-to-peer accountability, and identifying solutions via collaboration. Adopts lean principles in driving process improvements. (EF)
6. Provides project management and oversight for departmental and organization-wide projects requiring analysis, feasibility studies, implementation, maintenance, process/procedure development and planning (EF)
7. Ensures timely issues resolution and effective communication among all stakeholders. Performs high level administration of applications and ensures quality delivery of application availability by directing work product of team members. Evaluates effectiveness of work product. Participates in setting, monitoring, and meeting Service Level Agreements (SLAs) with key customers. Monitors and evaluates project outcomes. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
1. Develops and manages department operational and capital budgets, approvals, and ongoing maintenance of the department(s), ensuring operation in a cost-effective manner. Proactively identifies and plans for capital needs related to current equipment and future department projects. Ensures staffing plans and schedules meet department needs that reflect understanding of the importance of cost-effectiveness. (EF)
2. Creates department strategies to achieve financial target and staffing needs, through optimizing productivity, supply/resource efficiency, minimizing incidental overtime and overtime percentage, and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
3. Provides user education of business intelligence applications and helps ensure access to data with the goal of reduced reliance, over time, on technical specialists in order to obtain data Ensures appropriate staffing models are developed, maintained, and modified to ensure efficient use of resources. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 25%
1. Identifies and implements innovative solutions for practice or workflow changes to improve department, entity or system operations by leading unit projects and/or other department/ system-directed activities. Proactively leads task forces and committees. May represent HM at assigned community or professional organization meetings. (EF)
2. Drives change initiatives, maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements or cultures. Partners effectively with stakeholders as appropriate. (EF)
3. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. Conducts conversations with staff on their development and IDP. (EF)
4. Drives and promotes innovation. Challenges the status quo and expects holistic approach to customers current and future needs, strategic business direction, and industry needs. Mentor other team members / employees with one on one training when necessary. Proactively fosters an environment that encourages innovation, continuous improvement and growth. Leverages information for clinical, business, and quality value creation. Defines (and/or improves) data capture requirements for measuring and reporting efficiency improvements, consistent application of standards and management performance against targeted goals.
5. Demonstrates adaptability and flexibility in the face of changing demands. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, Healthcare Administrator or related discipline is required.
o Master's/MBA is required.
o Eight years of experience in date, informatics, orbiostatistics, and experience working with large health care data sets. Three years of management experience in a related industry.
o Four years general healthcare experience from a hospital environment a plus.
o EPIC, SQL, Database and Tableau experience preferred.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o .Maintain an advanced knowledge of trends affecting the industry in all relevant areas including political and legal.
o Ability to interpret data and its relevance on a wide range of health topeics is essential.
o Strong Decision Support / Business Intelligence / Data Warehousing systems & architecture experience in 'real world', practical, successful implementations.
o Ability to evaluate, prioritize and problem solve a variety and multiplicity of tasks and ensure their timely and accurate completion.
o Knowledge and appreciation of business concepts and requirements as applicable to a large academic, research, and/or healthcare facility.
o Understands BI tool architecture, functions, and features.
o Understands SQL and relational and multi-dimensional database structures and schemas.
o Understands the business questions prompted by non-technical users.
o Capable of translating user requirements into reports or analytical solutions.
o Ability to customize BI BI tools to meet users needs.
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially about activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Demonstrates the ability to interact with others in a way that gives them confidence in ones intentions and those of the organization
o Ability to use appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifying ones own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations and individuals involved
o Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction initiative and effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communication skills
o Ability to identify and understand issues, problems and opportunities, comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints and probable consequences
o Extensive knowledge of regulatory and accreditation agency requirements that impact department; stays abreast of industry changes
o Demonstrates highly effective communication skillsstrong written communications and platform presentation abilities
o Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
o Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the workplace
o Capable of leading teams/facilitating groups, building consensus and garnering highest confidence in professionalism and work product by senior leadership
o Ability to work under pressure and balance many competing priorities; highly responsive and solution/action oriented
o Proficiency in spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software
o Maintains a positive and supportive attitude and demeanor
o Professional handling of exposure to confidential/sensitive information
o Strong problem-solving and metadata skills.
o Must be able to sustain effective working relationships with senior management, physicians, all levels of employees, third party vendors, government and regulatory compliance agencies and other partners and affiliates.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor - priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group - As one of the nation's leading hospitals and academic medical centers Houston Methodist has brought together some of the nation's leading experts in multiple specialties to serve our patients. As part of Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group (HMSPG), these specialists not only provide excellent clinical care, but are on the forefront of research, developing leading-edge technologies and treatments, and teaching the medical pioneers of tomorrow. This combination of clinical service, research and academics ensures patients have access to the latest in treatments and technologies while providing the best in comprehensive patient care. Established as a non-profit corporation and certified by the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners, HMSPG enables physicians to maintain autonomy with respect to their clinical practice while growing their practice within an academic environment.