Skyrocket Ventures is a recruiting firm for hundreds of high growth technology companies that range from industry leaders to top-tier startups. This opportunity is with one of our client companies for a full-time permanent hire. Please only apply if you are authorized to work in the U.S. Please note that even if this job is not a perfect match, we encourage you to apply as long as it is in the ballpark. Companies are often flexible in hiring candidates who do not perfectly fit their written job description, as long as the most important qualifications are there and the candidate is good in general. Most of the jobs we are recruiting for are not posted online, so if you would like to know of all the opportunities we have that match your interests and qualifications, then please get in touch with us. After you apply to this job posting, we’ll consider you for this job as well as any other potential matches with our client companies. If we have any potential matches, we’ll share your resume with those companies and contact you about any interview opportunities we can get you. Thank you, and we wish you a great job search! Matthew Strassberg
Feel free to check out testimonials from some of our many candidates/clients here:
Director of Engineering - Crypto Hedge Fund
Menlo Park, CA (you can work from home up to 3x/week)
The company is a leading investment firm that specializes in crypto / blockchain investments, and their team includes some of the biggest names in the blockchain space.
Working at this company could be a good fit for someone who is interested in the world of hedge funds, venture capital, quantitative trading, data science, blockchain, and/or cryptocurrency. Passion for at least one of those areas would be needed for this job to be a fit.
The company will pay a base salary of up to $300k, plus performance bonuses. The amount of performance bonuses could range widely based on company performance and individual performance, but are expected to bring total yearly compensation to as high as $500k or more.
- The job would be about 60% management and 40% individual contributorship. You’d be managing 5 software engineers (2 are general backend engineers, 1 is a trade engine engineer, 2 are quants that write software that decides what trades to take). You would be hiring 3 quant engineers and 2 systems engineers (infrastructure, devops), which would bring the total team size to about 10.
- You would be responsible for the company’s IT security and strategy, which is crucial since the company holds a very large amount of cryptocurrency. You would be managing the company’s outsourced IT firms. You could also decide to hiring internally to insource that work if you prefer.
- Having a sense of ownership and urgency. You don't have to be on call 24/7 but have to have an ownership mentality. For example, if at 6 am you happen to see that trading is down, you should fix it right away by either talking to the devops person to figure it out, or fixing it yourself.
- Focus on uptime. For any amount of time that the trading software is down, the company would lose money.
- Building custom internal software. For example, the software behind the trade engine, portfolio tracking system, etc.
- Working closely with the executive team, providing thought leadership and strategic direction in developing, updating, and monitoring the effectiveness and integrity of the IT infrastructure.
- Be responsible for the company's technology architecture and infrastructure to ensure functionality, security, and efficiency. Providing technical guidance to all functional areas, identifying risks and opportunities while ensuring consistent best practices in IT systems and security.
- Making technology decisions on behalf of the firm, managing a technology budget and making IT investments that align the firm’s technological needs and objectives. Developing strategy and setting timelines for the implementation and oversight of all IT systems.
- Passion for crypto and blockchain
- Content to manage a roughly 10 person engineering team.
- at least 10 years of professional software engineering experience.
- At least 4 years of experience as the top engineering lead in a company (whether CTO or VP/Head/Director of Engineering).
- Experience building mission critical software.
- Experience in recruiting engineers.
- Understanding of cloud based infrastructure (AWS is used here).
- Hands on skills in one or more programming languages, including Python.
- Strong understanding of application security and regulatory compliance.
- Ability to work autonomously to develop and manage several complex initiatives with varying focuses at once.
- A track record of protecting and optimizing an organization.
- Great analytical and problem-solving skills - including requirements analysis, debugging and risk assessment.
- Excellent communication skills.
Nice to have:
- Fintech experience.
- Experience managing a distributed team.
- Deep understanding of crypto and blockchain ecosystems.
Did you like this job or want to see more? All of our online job postings can be found on these sites:
Follow us on Instagram here:
Follow us on LinkedIn here: