Docker DevOps Engineer, Product Innovation Team
Location: King of Prussia, PA, US
You are responsible for delivering an end-to-end solution from initial concept through finished solution in the area of automated build, deployment, monitoring and server infrastructure. You’ll need the ability to quickly understand needs from a hardware I/O perspective, and move from there to a working prototype that captures the essence of what the product should be. The ability to not only code and configure tools, but also assemble and integrate technology across disparate platforms is critical to success. This includes a deep understanding of systems, hardware, data structures, modern scripting and enterprise level languages as well as open source tools that can and should be leveraged to solve problems. You’ll work in a rapid environment where there aren’t always clear specifications or rules about how something should be done, where it’s up to you to figure things out and keep things moving. Some other things you’ll do regularly include:
- Write code, integrate systems and build configurations to drive and innovate connectivity to devices that report back to our server-based platform.
- Integrate systems using a wide variety of protocols like REST, SOAP, MQ, TCP/IP, JSON and others
- Design and build automated code deployment systems and templates that simplify development and interface work and make our work more consistent and predictable. You’ll do this by orchestrating environment deployment from OS all the way through the application layers of a solution, using tools such as Docker
- Exhibit a deep understanding of server virtualization, networking and storage ensuring that the solution scales and performs with high availability and uptime
- Create mechanisms/architectures that enable rapid recovery, repair and cleanup of faulty migrations with good understanding of fault tolerance and failure domains
- Identify opportunities to deliver self service capability for the most common infrastructure and application management tasks
- Create automated tests that enhance and build-out our existing code pipeline
- Provide deep and detailed levels of monitoring across all levels of the application
- Move fast, break things, and determine how to fix them
Who you are…
You’re someone who wants to influence your own development. You’re not intimidated by technology, you know how to leverage it to build great products. Your skills are broad –scripting, user experience, integration, database, even business domains – and you easily transition between those. You like to leverage modern technology and can quickly assemble it to create solutions that aren’t over-engineered. You’re also comfortable in a role where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but just a starting point.
Bachelor's Degree - Major in Computer Science or Engineering strongly preferred, other majors considered. Willing to accept additional experience in lieu of a degree.
Typically Minimum 4 Years Relevant Exp - Experience with hardware I/O and middleware technology in varying environments.
For this role, you’ll bring the following qualifications…
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in computer science, information technology or business information systems or related field
- Minimum three years as a developer or other sufficiently technical role
- Experience in leveraging Linux containers, volumes and associated tools to virtualize application infrastructure
- Broad technology background with understanding of server virtualization, database automation, storage and networking
- Exposure to the technologies mentioned above and expertise in using them
- Experience breaking down requirements, recommending solutions and organizing to deliver it
- Experience with I/O and hardware coding a significant plus
- Proven ability to work in a cross-functional team
- Fluent, open communication - both speaking and writing
- Experience designing and deploying applications in the cloud (AWS, Google, Azure) is preferred
- Experience working in an agile development environment is preferred
SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE - A seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of area of specialization; resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways. This job is the fully qualified, career-oriented, journey-level position.
JOB COMPLEXITY - Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Networks with senior internal and external personnel in own area of expertise.
SUPERVISION - Normally receives little instruction on day-to-day work, general instructions on new assignments.