In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.Responsibilities
The Aerospace Cyber Defense Solutions Department is looking for a hands-on embedded / FPGA Cyber Engineer to join our growing team of cyber professionals who design, implement, and deploy cyber solutions to defend our nation's most valuable assets in space. We support a variety of customers including the Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC), the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO), and other civil customers (e.g. NASA) in order to resolve unique challenges in protecting their satellite systems from sophisticated adversaries.
In this research and prototype focused role, you will join the Spacecraft Security Section, which specializes in embedded/discrete logic security for space systems. Example projects might include integration of NSA crypto modules to cubesat platforms, security analysis and recommendations for government programs, and cyber/cryptographic research for next-generation concepts.
Due to the coronavirus, Aerospace is conducting our interviews via phone and videoconference. We are especially flexible with start dates & relocation. Key Functions
This position is available as a Embedded / FPGA Cyber Engineer or Sr. Embedded / FPGA Cyber Engineer.QualificationsRequired for Embedded / FPGA Cyber Engineer
- Design and build embedded or hardware prototypes to demonstrate new concepts for protecting spacecraft from advanced cyber attacks.
- Leverage expertise of embedded architecture and design to perform vulnerability assessments and recommend best practices for government programs of record.
- Implement or integrate existing hardened cyber security modules on satellite or cubesat platforms.
- Research and develop novel software or hardware exploitations which may affect space systems.
- Proactively interact with customers by presenting project status, technical findings and technical demonstrations.
- Keep informed of the latest exploits and offensive measures through research and cyber certifications.
Required for Sr. Embedded / FPGA Cyber Engineer
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in Electrical Engineering, Cyber Security, or another related degree.
- 8 or more years of experience in software or hardware development related to secure coding, embedded systems security, side-channel attacks, defensive cyber operations, vulnerability analysis, cryptography, penetration testing, reverse engineering, or malware analysis.
- Extensive knowledge with respect to embedded design, discrete logic design, or both.
- Embedded applicants have advanced knowledge of programming languages including C/C++/Python/Assembly and embedded system environments such as Xilinx Zynq/Microblaze, ARM, or Altera NIOS.
- Discrete logic applicants have advanced knowledge with FPGA design (HDLs- VHDL/Verilog/SystemVerilog), hardware, and tools from major vendors (e.g., Xilinx, Altera, Microsemi).
- Able to lead small teams, propose new research lines, and interface with military program offices.
- Skilled with laboratory tools such as debuggers, oscilloscopes, power supplies and multimeters.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a clearance.
- Meets all criteria for Embedded / FPGA Cyber Engineer with at least 12 years of related technical experience.
- Is a lead contributor for security concepts which anticipate emerging threats.
- Manages expectations and guides concepts of complex projects which meet unmet or unexpressed needs.
- Able to mentor staff and participate in development of department strategy.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
- Active security clearance and advanced degree.
- Security certification such as CISSP.
- Experience conducting penetration test (e.g. reverse engineering, fuzz testing, side channel attacks, and permission escalation) or defensive operations (e.g. attack modeling, intrusion detection, and secure code review).
- Experience in cryptographic systems design (i.e., encryption, authentication, key management) or cryptographic algorithm development.
- Familiar with bash, shell, PowerShell, and basic scripting on Linux and Windows platforms.
- Familiar with trusted platform design and configuration (e.g. Arm TrustZone, SELinux, Intel SGX, OP-TEE, Secure Boot, Trusted Platform Module, BIOS/UEFI, etc.)
- Experience with Linux kernel and driver development; particularly customizations that enhance security for the system.
- Experience using and selecting software assurance tools & countermeasures
- Working knowledge with satellite systems.
- Experience with RTOS based multi-threaded application and bare metal embedded firmware design and development.
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone ator by email at
. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
poster and the supplement
, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement