Embedded Software Engineer (Electrical Engineering, C, ARM Microcontrollers, RS232/422, motor controls, stepper motor, microstepping) in Northbrook, IL
Position: Embedded Software Engineer (Electrical Engineering, C, ARM Microcontrollers, RS232/422, motor controls, stepper motor, microstepping)
Location: Northbrook, IL
Duration: Full-Time ONSITE position (no contracts, no corp to corp, no remote)
Salary: Excellent Compensation with benefits + Employee Stock + 401K (upto 10% Employer Contribution)
SKILLS: Embedded Software Development, Electrical Engineering Degree, C, ARM Microcontrollers, Serial Communication, RS232/422, motor controls, stepper motor, microstepping, position encoders, oscilloscope, multimeter, protocol analyzer tool
- Do you have 5 years’ experience in embedded software using C?
- Do you have hands on experience with ARM microcontrollers?
- Do you have experience or working knowledge of motor controls, stepper motor, microstepping and position encoders?
- Do you have experience using oscilloscope, multimeter and protocol analyzer tool to troubleshoot software, board and integration issues?
- Do you have experience working on serial communication including RS232/422?
- Are you willing to work in integrated engineering and manufacturing facility where 10% of time is expected to support engineering related manufacturing issue and training manufacturing staff to use new software and products?
- Are you willing to work in high paced facility where working on new development and supporting issues solution is required simultaneously?
For our prestigious client with multiple locations, we have an immediate need for an "Embedded Software Engineer" with a Degree in Electrical Engineering and expertise in "C, ARM Microcontrollers, RS232/422, motor controls, stepper motor, microstepping" for their location in Northbrook, IL.
Seeking an Embedded Software Engineer to serve as a thought leader in digital platforms and solution architecture. You will design complex custom solutions that require creative evaluation of alternative solutions, identifying risks and proposing mitigation strategies associated with the design.
Our client's motion control technology supports a variety of markets and applications, from commercial aircraft cockpits, to power-generation turbines, to Formula One racing, to medical infusion systems. The company’s Space and Defense segment provides controls for satellites, space vehicles, launch vehicles, armored combat vehicles, tactical and strategic missiles, security and surveillance, and other defense applications; and gun aiming, stabilization, and automatic ammunition loading for armored combat vehicles.
This dynamic business unit is focused on the development of high-quality, scalable physical-security solutions for a variety of established and emerging markets.
Core products include ruggedized pan and tilt positioners, camera systems, tripods, and video accessories. Our entrepreneurial culture supports our talented people, allowing them to approach their work with energy, enthusiasm, and the promise of opportunity.
- Create, modify and maintain embedded software for boards with 8 to 32 bit Microcontrollers, sensors and motor drivers with a quantitative appreciation of low-level hardware/software interaction.
- Maintain, modify and enhance existing code base to meet customer and product requirements.
- Develop efficient software architecture for analog/ digital IOs, serial communication including I2C, SPI, UART, RS232, RS485, and LVDS and TCP/IP communication.
- Ensure code development follows the specifications and established corporate coding standards while applying industry best practices to create scalable and secure solutions that have superior technical performance.
- Initiate and implement efforts to detect, solve and preclude the recurrence of design problems in addition to developing and implementing efforts to reduce excess works costs.
- Remain up to date on new and emerging technologies within area of technical expertise and serve as resource to other team members.
- Debug and troubleshoot prototyping boards at in-house lab. Use electrical test equipment such as network analyzer, oscilloscope, multi meter, protocol analyzer for wide range of applications.
- Check and approve final designs prepared by others to assure functionality, feasibility, reliability, completeness and conformance with applicable standards.
Here's what you'll need to be considered for this opportunity:
- B.S. Degree in Electrical Engineering and 5-10 years’ embedded software engineering experience with microcontroller circuits and boards, motion control systems, stepper motors, brushless servo motors, and position feedback devices.
- Hands on working knowledge on binary and ASCII communication protocols like MODBUS, IBM BiSync, SONY VISCA, TCP/IP.
- Hands on knowledge in designing / coding / modifying computer GUI applications in JAVA, C++, Visual Basic.Net and web technology. The experience is required to update the existing test tools.
- 5-10 years in coding and techniques in C for embedded software applications.
- Working experience with ATMEL AVR ATMega controllers, ARM controllers on Cortex M3/M4, IDEs (IAR), Code Composer Studio, Image Craft.
- Experience with Texas Instrument TIVA / Stellaris microcontroller with code composer studio; experience with FreeRTOS or SafeRTOS experience.
- Knowledge of Security and Surveillance systems including different visible and thermal cameras/ lenses, daylight and IR illuminators
- Knowledge of networking, and real world experience with dealing with the unpredictability and variability of the internet (e.g., packet loss, latency, bandwidth estimation, FEC).
- Embedded web server and applications, Frameworks like QT or WebRTC and HTML5.
- Technical knowledge of video encoding and distribution standards (H.264, MJPEG, MPEG2 Transport Streams), metadata standards, and audio encoding and distribution standards (AAC, G.711). The knowledge helps testing integrated systems.
- Creation of test procedures and jigs for boards for in-house manufacturing and board house.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE MUST HAVE THE FOLLOWING:
ORGANIZING AND PLANNING:
Must plan and organize daily/weekly activities establishing priorities of work to be completed. Establish specific priorities of work and work of subordinates (if any) to ensure completion as scheduled. Develop alternatives as required when obstacles are encountered. Establish specific follow-up to check the status of work as it progresses. Assign the workload in an equitable manner to accomplish various projects.
Must possess excellent verbal and written skills for the exchange of information between supervisor, team members, subordinates, sales, and manufacturing personnel. Occasionally, contacts will be made with suppliers and external customers which require explanations of products, resolving of problems and/or specifications of purchased products. Communications with internal customers is of prime importance in identifying problems and outlining solutions. Must communicate in clear, concise terms with team members in providing instructions and guidance.
Must develop cooperation with all levels of personnel within the engineering department, as well as internal & external customers and suppliers. Must seek to understand others' viewpoints, especially those of other departments and internal customers. Work in an environment where diversity of people, thoughts, opinions, and ideas are valued and encouraged.
DEVELOPMENT OF OTHERS:
Assist personnel in developing skills of engineering personnel to maximize individual performance, assessing technical skills deficiencies, and recommending specific programs for improvement.
- Assist engineers in all phases of product maintenance or development activities relative to all product lines while maintaining high quality & consistency for engineering deliverables. Maintain, improve or develop new processes to increase engineering effectiveness for production and new product development.
- Realignment of priorities due to unforeseen requirements to assist in the resolution of product manufacture / assembly / performance issues and/or short lead time allowances for the release of product quotations.
ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
- High level of self-motivation and drive to work in a fast-paced, challenging, and fluid environment.
- Demonstrated abilities in conception, preparation and analysis of product specifications and the resolution of product performance problems.
- Demonstrated experience in working across functional boundaries to solve problems, including direct interaction with internal & external customers involving problem solving and technical presentations.
- Proven critical thinking and diagnostic abilities.
- In addition to competitive salaries, enjoy health, dental, life and array of voluntary benefits; an annual profit share, employee stock purchase program, 401(K) with up to 10% in employer contributions.
Quality of Life:
We believe your personal life is important and offer unlimited Flexible Planned Vacation time beginning on day one of employment. Paid holidays and emergency unplanned time are also offered.
Please click the Apply Now button below to send your resume.