Engineering Team Lead
Our client has a set of development teams working together to deliver applications and platforms to realize their vision. As an Engineering Team Lead, you set the direction for one of those teams. It s about making sure everyone understands and follows major technical decisions. Team Leads find answers to questions with a high impact on the teams' productivity and morale. Are the services reliable enough? How can they improve quality? Can they afford more technical debt? These are just a few of the questions the Team Leads often get to answer. Team Leads help their engineers structure work provided by product owners and solve coordination issues faced by their teammates.
- As an Engineering Team Lead, you ll be an instrumental member in leading and growing the client s Engineering team. You will own and build large scale systems and microservices. You will lead in the design, development, and delivery of powerful server-side applications.
- For the client, engineering excellence is about following solid software design and implementation principles. These principles include; functional decomposition, understanding cohesion vs. coupling, graceful handling of error conditions, never trusting networks, and resiliency over reliability. Ultimately, Team Leads must drive engineering principles, while making sure the team is delivering testable and maintainable code that provides real value to customers. They have an engineering culture that promotes technical excellence through a shared experience.
- They are passionate about their customers and a Team Lead must understand and predict the needs of the customers. In that intimate understanding of the customers, the Team Lead is instrumental in planning the customer's most valuable features. The only way to truly delight customers is to consistently deliver what they have committed. Keeping the team s cadence requires experience, creativity and communication skills. Team Leads must understand the skills of each team member as well as what motivates them.
- Team leads are principled about balancing artful leadership and delivering distinguished technical work. They are intuitive, personable, relationship-oriented leaders who seek to empower their teams. That empowerment, however, doesn t stop at soft skills. Their tech leads are expert engineers who relish heavy lifting design and implementation tasks that enable their teams to deliver robust business value more quickly and sustainably.
- A significant part of the day to day activity is to act as a mentor to your teammates. Great engineers are lifelong learners and love change. As a mentor you need to portray these characteristics every day. And mentoring doesn't just cover technical aspects; communication and teamwork are equally as important.
- 7-10+ years of industrial strength engineering development and delivery of large-scale systems that have had rigorous systemic quality requirements.
- Proven track record of execution at the individual contributor level and ideally as a team lead (if not in title, in practice)
- Deep knowledge of procedural programming languages such as C# or Java. We are a .NET Core shop
- Deep understanding of open source frameworks and tools to shorten development efforts
- Have worked extensively in an Agile/SCRUM development methodology
- Functional understanding of Design Patterns and pragmatic implementation sensibility
- Have worked in CI/CD Environments
- Understand design trade-offs and make sure they are documented
- The ability to create, debug, and maintain elements of the overall code base
- Be a critical thinker, without over thinking
- Be able to communicate to engineers, the why as well as the how
- Must be adaptable. We are a startup and you need to thrive in a highly dynamic environment.
- Bachelor s degree in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent years of experience