Metis has an immediate opening for an Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) Specialist
to join our team in Las Cruces, NM at the White Sands Complex (WSC). In this role, you’ll perform a variety of EHS activities to plan and implement the Peraton EHS Management System and comply with NASA standards and EHS regulations.
- Perform, coordinate and track EHS programmatic assessments and inspections.
- Develop, prepare and maintain EHS programmatic guidance, policies, and procedures.
- Prepare and submit EHS reports and documentation as required by NASA and federal and state agencies.
- Support the incident investigation and reporting process to ensure root causes are identified, corrective actions implemented to prevent future occurrence and appropriate reporting requirements are met.
- Support hazardous waste management program to include monthly tracking, providing training, and managing shipments of hazardous waste and universal waste.
- Support SENSE personnel in hazard assessments and systems safety analysis of design projects, operations, maintenance, and other activities to ensure effective controls are implemented.
- Provide EHS training and develop educational materials.
- Lead, participate and provide consultation to SENSE and NASA safety councils and committees.
- Maintain EHS systems including site workflow process, safety data sheet management system, and mishap reporting databases for the WSC.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Safety and Health, Engineering, Science, or related field.
- 5+ years of professional EHSEHS experience.
- Strong written and oral communication.
- Knowledge and ability to apply Federal, State, and consensus standards to ensure EHSEHS programs are within compliance.
- Prior experience implementing EHSEHS Management System (e.g., ANSI Z10, OSHAS 18001, ISO 14001).
- Experience supporting industrial hygiene monitoring and medical surveillance programs.
- Experience supporting hazardous waste program
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Physical Requirements:
- Work will require lifting up to 40 lbs., stooping, climbing, working at heights, prolonged standing, prolonged sitting and working with or in areas where a potential could exist for exposure to physical and chemical agents.
- Employee use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). PPE is required in certain areas. PPE includes but is not limited to head, foot, hand, torso, respiratory, vision and hearing protective devices. Must comply with OSHA, EPA, and NFPA Standards and published company work rules.
- The ability to travel – approximately 10%.
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
- A demonstrated track record which shows sound judgment in making decisions based EHSEHS requirements and policies
- Knowledge of NAEHSEHS requirements
- Knowledge of ionizing and non-ionizing radiation programs
- Knowledge of NFPA 70E Electrical Safety Program
- Knowledge of Systems Safety tools and practices
- Mobile Aerial Platform operator experience
- CPR/1st Aid instructor certification
- Knowledge of RCRA and DOT Standards