About Sterling Medical Devices:
Sterling Medical Devices, a provider of custom electro-mechanical and software solutions for the medical device industry, has been dedicated to helping our clients resolve medical device development challenges. Our engineering teams address the whole development process: systems, software, electronics, mechanical, quality, and compliance. Our headquarters, located in Moonachie, NJ, is a casual work environment that engages our team in cutting edge technologies and projects.
Sterling has over 20 years of experience working with doctors, startups, medical device companies and providing solutions for healthcare companies that need to scale up quickly to bring medical device software, hardware, mechanical, and mobile medical device apps to market by successfully navigating the FDA and CE approval process. We design our client s products with a focus on the user needs and requirements, while making smart design choices based on our extensive and diverse product development experience.
We are currently searching for a Experienced Medical Devices Industrial Designer to join our team. This position will be responsible for supporting a multi-disciplined team developing product specifications, generating concepts, building and testing prototypes, and creating parts for device systems. The ideal candidate is a self-starter with a passion for being part of a team developing medical technologies that improve people s lives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Based on user-centered design principles create functional and manufacturable design solutions based on documented design specifications and criteria
- Discern critical design factors important to assigned projects and to be able to logically defend tradeoffs (ergonomics, manufacturability, aesthetics, etc.)
- Identify the most technically challenging problems and create strategic & tactical solutions including root cause identification, individual researched solutions, concept generation, creating a plan forward, and tracking execution progress
- Work collaboratively and seeks out other disciplines to optimize design solutions while being seen as ID advocate / voice for Industrial Design in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Effectively and efficiently develop design deliverables appropriate to need; 2D Digital Sketching, simple low-fidelity prototypes, advanced 3D printed prototypes, to engineering ready SolidWorks CAD
- Effectively lead brainstorms and innovation sessions with multiple cross functional participants to develop and deliver solutions that provide world class designs and experiences.
- Create sketches, 3D models, prototypes, and proof of concept models that effectively communicate design intent, meet business goals and customer needs.
- Based on feedback, iterate concepts and coordinate production of presentation quality appearance models and functional prototypes for internal and external testing and presentations.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design
- 4+ years’ experience in new product development and design
- Excellent aesthetic and graphic sensibility
- Design thinking ability to synthesize and translate user needs to design opportunities
- Experience in the medical industry preferred
- Highly proficient in 2D/3D and design software. Solidworks, Adobe Suites, and Keyshot.
- Excellent rapid sketch/ 2D ability
- Working knowledge of FDA content necessary for medical device pre-market submission (IEC 60601 standards), including an understanding of how to apply the principles within the ISO 14971 risk management for medical devices is a plus.
- Demonstrated expertise in user-centered design and the principles of design for manufacturing
- Working knowledge of 2D and 3D digital tools, including Solidworks 3D modeling program to ensure design intent integration and a smooth hand-off to/from the technical engineering group
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate design intent by a variety of means: ideas in 2D and 3D form appropriately to a specific purpose, at a high level of professionalism
- Deep production design experience: understanding of materials, processes and assembly
Knowledge and Skills:
- Exhibit a solid understanding and experience delivering results based on consumer insights
- Strong analytical, written and presentation skills
- Capable of multi-tasking and managing multiple priorities.
- Experience working in a design control environment
- Great client interaction and problem-solving skills
- Experience working in a highly creative and technical Cross-Functional Environment
- Knowledge of manufacturing, materials and rapid prototyping processes (DFM/DFA) preferred
- Ability to work in a collaborative group (HFE, , UI/UX, ID, ME, SE and EE)
- Experience with new product ideation and brainstorming support
- Self-Motivated, pro-active thinker and with the ability to quickly conceptualize ideas.
- Passionate about design
Sterling Medical Devices (SMD) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. SMD does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Local candidates only at this time, please. We do not offer relocation assistance.
No third-party candidates please.