The Federal Reserve is developing a new interbank 24x7x365
real-time gross settlement (RTGS) service with integrated clearing
functionality, called the FedNowSM service. This service will help
enable financial institutions provide their customers with the ability to send
and receive payments any time, any day, and have full access to those funds
within seconds. This position is a
unique opportunity to be part of a new mission-critical Federal Reserve
initiative that will be transformative to the payments landscape in the United
The Software Engineering
Manager is responsible for working with the FedNow technical and business teams
to deliver technology leadership, and world class software solutions for the
FedNow service, which includes the key technical deliverables that will shape
the product. You ll collaborate with architects who own different aspects of
the FedNowSM service, and manage engineers to deliver high quality,
scalable components and solutions to FedNow.
What will be expected of you-
The Software Engineering Manager will build an
understanding of systems and platforms across the Fed to build a solution that
both delivers core function, and integrates with other systems and will oversee
construction of a high performance solution that can support robust, highly
scalable, fault-tolerant and resilient requirements. You ll bring a product
mindset to the role, and help shape product-centric development
- Lead engineering teams to design and build the FedNow Service in line with scope and time constraints, and quality expectations
- Plan tasks, hold code and design reviews, and deliver to engineering best practices, such as Test Driven Development, DevSecOps, and CI/CD.
- Partner with the technical architecture team on high level architecture, collaborate with senior developers across the team on design, and review and approve the detailed design
- Plan for the budget, resources and tools to deliver against a roadmap in close partnership with the product management team.
- Drive all aspects of development including requirements definition, design, implementation, unit testing, and integration. Oversee detailed designs, implementation, and test plan reviews to ensure high quality deliverables.
- Work closely with stakeholders to provide status, iterative releases, and make design decisions throughout development.
- Deliver a service based platform that can be scaled efficiently, is secure, high-volume and robust (99.99% uptime, 24/7/365).
- Build and leverage your knowledge of systems engineering to understand limitations and constraints that must be managed to deliver a best-in-class solution.
- Design a solution that is optimized for a cloud-first deployment model, but is consistent with legacy systems.
- Recognizes new developments in technology and explores avenues for incorporating these into the future business and technical solutions.
- Builds API s and integration platforms that conform to FedNow, and broader Fed System standards and architectures.
- Serves as architecture liaison with other business areas to assist in identifying information systems requirements and potential common solutions. May include development of proofs of concept or prototypes.
- Works closely through implementation with technical teams supporting the other businesses to ensure architected solutions are developed and tested successfully.
- Partner with Infrastructure teams to implement, size and scope infrastructure needs and configuration for deployment of the product.
Expertise you will bring-
- Knowledge and experience normally acquired through, or equivalent to, the completion of a Master's degree or a minimum of 10 years of job-related experience.
- You ll be a strong collaborator, able to engage effectively with other teams and technical experts.
- Ideally you ll have experience in product software engineering
- You ll be a quick learner, able to ramp up rapidly on the complex technical ecosystem at the Fed, with a passion for new technology, and driving innovation and change.
- You ll have deep experience with Cloud technology, and distributed architectures.
- Experience building high volume, high availability, highly resilient systems available 24/7/365.
- Experience building, supporting and sustaining API s for internal and external consumption.
- Federal Reserve business knowledge, preferably with Accounting, Credit Risk Management, Reserves, and/or Payments.
- Excellent communication skills with ability to express ideas in a clear, concise, and compelling manner; as well as ability to tailor communications for different audiences.
- Detailed-oriented and capable self-starter with the ability to explore innovative ways to perform tasks in an efficient and timely manner as an individual and in a team environment
- Excellent relationship management and collaboration skills, including the ability to influence and build consensus across teams
- Demonstrated experience delivering successful outcomes on projects involving multiple stakeholders with differing/diverging interests
within U.S. required 25% of time
The Federal Reserve System is
committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and to provide equal employment
opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national
origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information,
disability, or military service.
All employees assigned to this
position will be subject to FBI fingerprint/ criminal background and Patriot
Act/ Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) watch list checks at least once
every five years.
The above statements are intended
to describe the general nature and level of work required of this position.
They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities
or skills associated with this position or the personnel so classified. While
this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of this position,
management reserves the right to revise this or any job description at its
discretion at any time.
For this job, any offer of
employment is contingent upon successfully passing a two-phase security
screening. The first phase consists of the satisfactory completion of a
physical examination (including a drug screening), reference checks, and a
security investigation consisting of credit and criminal history
The second phase, which might not
be complete until after you begin working at the Reserve Bank, is an additional
risk-based security screening determined by the risk rating of the
position. Depending upon the sensitivity of the position, this phase may
include, and is not limited to, work and residency eligibility verification,
and personal interviews with the candidate, references, and prior employers.
All applicants must have resided in
the United States for at least three (3) years