When you're part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you'll be supported in achieving your career goals. How will you make an impact?
As a Field Application Scientist, you will provide scientific expertise, applications support and training to customers on Ion-NGS, Applied Biosystems- CE and other Thermo Fisher Scientific products as needed. Support interfaces include in-person, phone and email communications. Partners with sales in the field to deliver product specific pre- and post sales related customer support activities. Solves customer escalations effectively. Acts as a trusted expert to our customers, increasing customer satisfaction and loyalty as well as contributing to the overall success of the business. What will you do? Pre-Sales Support
- Performs product demonstrations at customer or company site
- Prepares and presents seminars to wide array of audiences
- Helps support technical training for Sales Representatives as appropriate.
- Collaborates with Sales Representatives to develop technical selling strategies.
- Participates in the field test site determination process.
- Represents Thermo Fisher at trade shows and vendor shows to present Thermo Fisher products and gather information.
- Accompanies Sales Representatives on sales calls in customers' laboratories to provide technical and applications assistance in response to customer inquiries.
- Supports conditional sales placements in the field through on-site visits and telephone communication.
- Generate and record opportunities related to the Thermo Fisher workflow including Service contracts.
Other Roles & Responsibilities
- Provides troubleshooting support to customers in the field or by phone/email.
- Resolves and/or escalates customer issues & complaints.
- Provides start-up applications training to customers in their laboratories or as an instructor at Thermo Fisher training centers.
- Demonstrates basic operating and troubleshooting procedures for Thermo Fishers' (instruments) workflow.
- Coordinates cross-functional engagements for significant situations that require unique and/or urgent response from customer facing team members.
- Plans and delivers user meetings in house or in the field.
- Provides and continuously update customer contact relevant information. Track, record and document relevant information from all technical enquires from customers
How will you get here? Education
- Reports on activities in the field on a regular basis to Manager and Sales partners through written reports and regular telephone conversations.
- Reports on technical trends going on in the territory by relating customer concerns and issues to the appropriate internal partners.
- Stays current on scientific and industry trends and innovations.
- Participates in inter-departmental projects
- Accountable for managing expenses, scheduling and tracking activities.
- Participates actively to support Sales and Service meetings as required
- May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned
- BA or BS in Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry or related scientific field.
- MS or PhD is strongly preferred
- Requires a minimum of 3+ years of laboratory or related work experience.
- Extensive experience using personal computers and all Microsoft Office applications.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- 1+ year of working with Thermo Fisher instruments preferred.
- Experience in a clinical, diagnostics and/or regulated market
- Experience in a customer-facing role and/or providing technical and scientific presentations to a variety of audiences is strongly preferred.
- Experience in CE and/or Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) technologies preferred.
- Experience in sample and library preparation for sequencing applications.
- Is able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Capable of working independently. Is self-motivated and proactive
- Demonstrates clear and concise communications and is capable of interacting with a diverse population of internal and external contacts.
- Ability to partner effectively as part of a team to solve problems, negotiate solutions and arrive at a consensus.
- Is customer-centric and keenly aware of markets, trends and competitors
- Is tenacious, decisive, nimble and quick, able to adapt from one situation to another quickly
- Anticipates needs and problems while creating solutions
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency, contagious optimism and a "can do" attitude
- Is curious, inquisitive, innovative, never satisfied with the status quo
- Greets challenge and change as opportunity
- Has courage and confidence to take risks and learn from mistakes
- Inspires, motivates and collaborates with others
- Stretches across borders, breaks silos and builds effective partnerships with customers and colleagues
- Embraces and leverages diversity of culture and thought
- Is strategic, astute and forward-thinking
- Is authentic, transparent and leads by example, holding self and others accountable
- Typically works remotely from home office.
- Travel may range from 25% to 75%.
- Responsible to effectively manage schedule and negotiate scheduling conflicts
- Valid Driver's license is required.
- Most duties are performed at field locations which may require walking within customer facilities, standing while giving presentations or conducting meetings and sitting to complete reports and sales calls.
- Demonstrations may require moving equipment and manual dexterity and ability to lift up to 50 pounds
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission--enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, click here for further assistance. Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.