Come see your career take flight at NASA
NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center nestled in the Maryland suburbs of Greenbelt is just 30 minutes from the heartbeat of America - Washington, D.C. Now you can have it all, the nightlife, museums, great food and theater. Work in a place that pushes the envelope of science every day, yet spy a deer or a Canadian goose as you stroll the grounds of Goddard during lunch.
This position requires a motivated and capable scientist to provide end-to-end support for the Goddard Earth Sciences Data and Information Services Center (GES DISC), to facilitate researchers and other users in their acquisition and use of NASA earth data products. These data products include legacy, current and future NASA Earth Science mission data (satellite and modeling), and externally projects provided discipline-related products (such as Atmospheric Composition, Climate, and Water Energy Cycle, etc.)
Position responsibilities will include understanding the currently archived data at GES DISC (data formats and associated metadata), developing scientific applications such as algorithms for generating value-added products and applications to support advanced services that can be plugged into an existing and major visualization and analysis system, and developing tools to support interoperability for discovering, accessing, customizing, viewing, and analyzing data or to support GIS-compatible and other formats. Position responsibilities will also include developing extensive documentation on the data products and services, providing user-focused support, and supporting the GES DISC user outreach efforts. The successful candidate will also be active with the Data Publications working groups of the EOSDIS and a key contributor to the GES-DISC Data Publication System.
* M.S. Physical Sciences or BS with 4+ years experience in Atmospheric Sciences, Remote Sensing, Earth or Environmental Sciences/Engineering (other related science and engineering fields acceptable with hands on work experience)
* 4-6 years related experience; scientific programming experience and skill with use of languages/tools such as C, Python, FORTRAN, Matlab, GrADS, IDL/IDV, NCO, CDO, and Perl
* Experience with Earth sciences data and formats HDF5, netCDF4, GRIB
* Experience with Earth sciences metadata recommendations for data interoperability and discoverability
* Excellent inter-personal and communications skills
* Motivated individual with a keen sense for problem solving and ability to work with little supervision and as part of a team
* USA Citizenship or Permanent Residency
* Experience leading small projects from inception through execution
* Ability to work in a multi-task environment
* Experience or research related to greenhouse gases or carbon cycle remote sensing analysis
* Experience with data modeling and assimilation or familiarity with atmospheric models
* Experience in an operational data center or with large data storage systems
* Self-motivated individual with experience or interest in leading projects
* Experience with proposal writing and development is plus
* Familiarity with UNIX/Linux environment
* Experience visualizing scientific data or presentation of data for outreach or to a larger user community.